check HiRISE Images on GigaPan

6 years 3 months ago #11243 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic HiRISE Images on GigaPan

:whistle: Whew -- glad we got that cleared up and out of the way.

So this stuff does not exist -- now I can rest my mind.

Haha. :P

The "carved scroll" picture ... any idea of the scale? Scroll or not, that is some strange looking terrain. I think the features from the HiRise pictures are pretty large in real life.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RocketDawg
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #11244 by Marty
Replied by Marty on topic HiRISE Images on GigaPan
I think Todd would be the best chance on determining the scale.

Here is another with something to the right that has some very unique features.

I don't know if anyone else has seen these. It's like looking for a fleck of parsley in a pot of soup.
Attachments:

More
6 years 3 months ago #11245 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic HiRISE Images on GigaPan

... any idea of the scale?

Unlike the rover images, scale is pretty easy on the HiRISE stuff, usually around 50 cm per pixel for the map projected images. Scale specs are on the image page in the left column with the other data.
www.uahirise.org/PSP_008427_1380

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #11246 by RocketDawg
Do you know if the images were taken on an oblique angle, or directly overhead. I'm guessing somewhat oblique since the ... "objects" ... look like they'd be standing esssentially upright. If from overhead, they'd be at some odd angle. Would be interesting to see them from a ground view, but that'll be many years away if ever in that particular location.

OT ... but is the forum particularly slow today? It's never exactly blazing, but today seems to be taking a minute or two to load.

• RocketDawg
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #11247 by RocketDawg
Do you know if the images were taken on an oblique angle, or directly overhead. I'm guessing somewhat oblique since the ... "objects" ... look like they'd be standing esssentially upright. If from overhead, they'd be at some odd angle. Would be interesting to see them from a ground view, but that'll be many years away if ever in that particular location.

OT ... but is the forum particularly slow today? It's never exactly blazing, but today seems to be taking a minute or two to load.

Edit: Actually, that reply took about 15 minutes to load. I'm guessing the server was down for a while.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by RocketDawg.

• RocketDawg
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #11264 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic HiRISE Images on GigaPan
Look for the phase angle on the data page, in this case 80°. The Solar incidence angle is also similar, at 81°, so I think depending on the shape of the landscape, the tops and the closest sides of the formations should generally be visible. For reference check this page , scroll down for the IKONOS satellite image of the buildings of San Francisco, that camera is very similar to HiRISE.

www.sps.ch/fileadmin/xtern/Engelberg_2007/TU5_-_Thomas_hirise_070306.pdf
www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/sixthmars2003/pdf/3287.pdf
www.uahirise.org/faq/

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #11267 by RocketDawg

Look for the phase angle on the data page, in this case 80°. The Solar incidence angle is also similar, at 81°, so I think depending on the shape of the landscape, the tops and the closest sides of the formations should generally be visible. For reference check this page , scroll down for the IKONOS satellite image of the buildings of San Francisco, that camera is very similar to HiRISE.

www.sps.ch/fileadmin/xtern/Engelberg_2007/TU5_-_Thomas_hirise_070306.pdf
www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/sixthmars2003/pdf/3287.pdf
www.uahirise.org/faq/

Thanks Todd. That is very good information, and the comparison to San Franisco is very helpful. The viewing angle is about what I thought it would be.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by RocketDawg.

• RocketDawg
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: