lock Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan

6 years 4 months ago #10871 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan

Never been anywhere myself to see undercuts of such grandeur.

We have round stone balls all over our little ball of dust. Peru etc.
I guess, Mars should be no different.
And the balls of Mars (if I may) show up everywhere. Referred to as Blueberries, I assume because they are small.
Have a look (if you have not already) at this one. Zoom in on the rugged outcrop just left of centre. Another ball sitting on top of a rock base.
And then , just for fun --- move outward from the ball at the 10 o'clock angle you will see an apple with a great big bite out of it. (Joking here -- I have no idea what the hell that is)
Page 21
#9438 by Todd
Sol 792 & 794 Gigapans 200792

There are a few Earthly examples here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balancing_rock Not as widespread as on Mars, but they do happen on Earth.

The "blueberries" seem to be everywhere on Mars (although we've covered a very small fraction of the surface ... I think Curiosity has only 'driven' about 12 miles), and are presumably called that because that's what they look like. And some appear to be blue. And generally they seem to be about the same size as a blueberry but there's a bit of variation. They remind me of what forms when a person is welding ... bits of molten metal flying off and becoming roughly spherical by the time they hit the ground. Maybe the blueberries formed in a similar manner. Not sure if volcanoes form any spherical rocks or not. I don't remember seeing any.

I couldn't find the gigapan you referenced. Could be that my computer has a different page count than yours. Maybe you could paste a direct link? Thanks.
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 4 months ago #10872 by ??
Replied by ?? on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
Hey, that's right across town from me. Cool! :)
  • ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #10873 by Marty
Replied by Marty on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
Hope I did this right.

www.whatsupinthesky.com/index.php/forum/the-planet-mars/4058-curiosity-rover-composites-on-gigapan?start=140

Weld spatter is a good example indeed.
These seem they would be considerably larger. But then again, it may just be sunlight striking the object and the reflective glow gives the appearance of a round object.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Marty.
More
6 years 4 months ago #10874 by RocketDawg
Yes, you did it right. I was making a brain fart mistake ... looking on Page 21 within Todd's long post of gigapans (total of 65 pages thus far) instead of Page 21 of the Planet Mars forum. Must be getting late. :)

Could be if spherical rocks or metallic spheres or whatever form in the lower gravity field of Mars (relative to Earth's) that the molten material would be in the air longer, and thus have more time to become spherical and even larger. Just speculating ... I have no idea how the blueberries formed. Could be volcanic, or as many others have suggested, the resiult of some cataclysmic event, natural or not.
More
6 years 4 months ago #10878 by Glitch_Neo
Replied by Glitch_Neo on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
More
6 years 4 months ago #10879 by RocketDawg
Those mineral veins remind me of what happens in your water heater when you have very hard water, or when water has run over the same place for a long time (e.g., stalactites and stalacmites). Wonder if there could be any connection?

And the mud rocks look very thin in some places, like it would just crush if you tried to pick it up.
More
6 years 4 months ago #10880 by Glitch_Neo
Replied by Glitch_Neo on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan

Those mineral veins remind me of what happens in your water heater when you have very hard water, or when water has run over the same place for a long time (e.g., stalactites and stalacmites). Wonder if there could be any connection?

To me the mineral vein on the mid left looks like the remains of a composite material the "Calcite" looking light material coated in the darker outer material - Much like a metal bar / rail coated in a protective material... Really wish we could know the real composition if these veins, we could make start to work out roughly what mineral / material it originally was by reversing the mineral replacement processes we know about from earth...

And the mud rocks look very thin in some places, like it would just crush if you tried to pick it up.

Desiccated - would crumble fro sure.... I'm fascinated with what exactly the processes involved were, that lead to these formations?
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: