lock Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan

5 years 8 months ago #13384 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
Yep, well said Glitch. I'm a bit older. The town I grew up in only had one television station, and the picked what they though was the best from the three networks in existence then. We got along just fine because we didn't know any better. Now we're strapped to our computers and feel positively naked without our iPhone in our pockets. You gotta wonder what the next few years of technology will bring.

Let's hope we really go to Mars this time. It's been a long time coming. I want to see some of those "manufactured objects" up close and personal. I really hope that's what they are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glitch_Neo
The topic has been locked.
  • RocketDawg
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #13385 by Glitch_Neo
Replied by Glitch_Neo on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
from the 40's & 50's onwards, science fiction gave way to science fact in so many ways -
but unfortunately there's so much "We were promised" with regards to certain technologies and ambitions just haven't come to fruition in the way I and my friends at school imagined.

I honestly as a kid in the 80's - Living in India and the UK (My dad worked out in Panjim / Panaji in Goa) watching sci-fy and reading Osbourne books about the wonders to be had in space exploration and colonization - Being told about these amazing stories from the Mahabharata - gods in flying cities and energy weapons like the "Dorje" and "Trishula" - I thought the future held a lot more in the way of exploration and understanding of the cosmos... The tibetans and Hindus have the most fascinating (and believable lol) religious history.

I remember my mom explaining to me Jesus was a space man. maybe even a time traveler - My imagination was wide and open... school kinda quashed a lot by mocking my ideas and insisting God was some white guy sat on a cloud... and how dare I question it etc... Faith is important, no matter if spirtual / scientific / however you get the hope and faith its crucial for the soul. I respect everyone no matter their faith or belief - like I would expect in return - even with a bit of ribbing or questioning! (other than Xenophobic morons lol)

these regimented and non deviating "narrow" minded attitudes suck a lot - the "Smithsonian effect" I like to call it.

I do certainly hope we (humanity) get off our obese and generally arrogant selfish bums, and get out into the solar system with a big push - I agree with Elon - If we don't humanity will die rapidly - certainly sooner than the next 250,000 years even the next 250 years.

Humanity has the curiosity to explore - yet it seems to lack the real desire to stop bickering like kids in a playground.

Feet on the Moon, Feet on Mars please in the next 10 - 20 years... :P
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Glitch_Neo.
More
5 years 8 months ago #13388 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
Well, that was fun. Definitely the roughest experience I've had putting one of these together in a while, multiple issues going on with this set, so this will be my final attempt, at least for now. :angry: :P Here are composites made from Mastcam images taken on Sol 1931.:ohmy: It is a great view though.:blink:

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/210663

mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?s=1931&camera=MAST_
www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/sol/01931.html
  • Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 8 months ago #13389 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan

Well, that was fun. Definitely the roughest experience I've had putting one of these together in a while, multiple issues going on with this set, so this will be my final attempt, at least for now. :angry: :P Here are composites made from Mastcam images taken on Sol 1931.:ohmy: It is a great view though.:blink:

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/210663

mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?s=1931&camera=MAST_
www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/sol/01931.html

What makes some composites more difficult than others? Given that I have no idea how you guys put these things together, I have no idea what it takes.
  • RocketDawg
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 8 months ago #13390 by Todd

What makes some composites more difficult than others? Given that I have no idea how you guys put these things together, I have no idea what it takes.

A large number of images, the individual exposures, the lens shadow, the combined depth of field when stitching a composite can all potentially be problematic when creating a mosaic.
  • Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 8 months ago #13395 by Todd
Here are composites made from ChemCam / Mastcam images taken on Sol 1888, 1890, 1891 & 1892.

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/210676
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glitch_Neo
  • Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 8 months ago #13402 by Glitch_Neo
Replied by Glitch_Neo on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
Hey everyone, sorry its been a few days - I had a break from image searching and processing - Had a lovely few days with my wife while we were both off work! Good for the soul! :cheer:

Here's a couple of MSL pans I made today.

Sol 1996 - 1998 - 1999 - 2000 Left and right Mastcam Composite

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/210699

Download Here : www.flickr.com/photos/terraform-mars/42290616650

MSL Sol 1931 Bottom Half of the 200 image mosaic @200% sharpened and white balanced

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/210694

Sorry no download as Flickr cant handle anything over 200mb sadly... :blush: :sick:
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: