lightbulb Semi-translucent disc on Mars

6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #11304 by ??
Replied by ?? on topic Semi-translucent disc on Mars

…but I've never seen what I thought might be one, and you can't really tell from lights in the skies. …

Me 2.

The focus of this forum is anomalies on planetary bodies and other bodies; stars, galaxies, comets, etc. There are a few threads on UFOs (Unidentified Flying Objects) here and there, but these are exceptions and not the rule. There are plenty of other forums, YouTube channels, and web sites whose focus is ufology and so WUITS leaves UFOs to them…usually.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by ??. Reason: Corrected punctuation. Reset font.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #11369 by ??
Replied by ?? on topic Semi-translucent disc on Mars
I waited until I got an email from the library telling me that <em>Dark Mission</em> was available for pickup and I went and checked it out today. Chapter 5, A Conspiracy Unfolds, section 9, “The Birth of NASA” contains the words I referred to.

Page 312 paragraph 7 through page 313 paragraph 4, 5 paragraphs in all, is the relevant cite:

“The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), was created by an act of Congress98 on July 29, 1958. Its ostensible purpose was to act as a “civilian science agency” for the betterment of mankind, and simultaneously to “enhance the defense of the United States of America.” We have always been taught that NASA was a public agency, beholden only to the will of the people through their representatives in Congress. The Act itself, as Hoagland noted in the Introduction, paints a very different picture.

From the beginning, NASA was under the thumb of the Department of Defense, subject to the whims of the Pentagon on any issue judged to be “necessary to make effective provision for the defense of the united States.” It was required under the Act to make available “to agencies directly concerned with national defense…discoveries that have military value or significance.” Such determinations were to be made solely by the President of the United States (obviously on the recommendation of DOD, the NSA, CIA, DIA, etc., etc., etc.) – and were not subject to Congressional oversight.

The upshot of this is that the “civilian” Space Agency was compromised from its inception. A civilian figurehead Director (NASA Administrator) was trotted out for the public to consume, but he was always taking orders from the Pentagon on any question it determined was in the interests of “national defense” – and the Pentagon was accountable to no civilian branch of government on these issues (other than the (sic) president – who, in practice, defers to “military recommendations” on matters of national security 99% of the time).

Thus, NASA – as mandated in its Charter – was/is beholden to its Pentagon masters (through the White House) first and foremost; to its own interests, second; and to the general public thirdly…if at all.

Thus, regardless of its well-cultivated public persona – as “a civilian, primarily a science-gathering” Agency – NASA has always been under the thumb of the defense/intelligence establishment.”

That’s what Hoagland said in his book. Then I realized I could have not even involved that book at all as I can look up NASA’s founding charter online in just a few seconds without even getting out of my chair. So I did and here that is, cut and pasted, which is much easier:

98 LINK:
The Space Act

NOTE: All highlights are mine.

National Aeronautics and Space Administration
[Editorial Headnote: "National Aeronautics and Space Act of 1958," Public Law #85-568, 72 Stat., 426. Signed by the President on July 29, 1958, Record Group 255, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C; available in NASA Historical Reference Collection, History Office, NASA Headquarters, Washington, D.C. Page references to original document in brackets.]

To provide for research into problems of flight within and outside the earth's atmosphere, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

TITLE I -- SHORT TITLE, DECLARATION OF POLICY, AND DEFINITIONS

SHORT TITLE

Sec. 101. This act may be cited as the "National Aeronautics and Space Act of 1958".

DECLARATION OF POLICY AND PURPOSE

Sec. 102. (a) The Congress hereby declares that it is the policy of the United States that activities in space should be devoted to peaceful purposes for the benefit of all mankind.

(b) The Congress declares that the general welfare and security of the United States require that adequate provision be made for aeronautical and space activities. The Congress further declares that such activities shall be the responsibility of, and shall be directed by, a civilian agency exercising control over aeronautical and space activities sponsored by the United States, except that activities peculiar to or primarily associated with the development of weapons systems, military operations, or the defense of the United States (including the research and development necessary to make effective provision for the defense of the United States) shall be the responsibility of, and shall be directed by, the Department of Defense; and that determination as to which such agency has responsibility for and direction of any such activity shall be made by the President in conformity with section 201 (e).

Sec. 201. (e) In conformity with the provisions of section 102 of this Act, it shall be the duty of the President to--

(1) survey all significant aeronautical and space activities, including the policies, plans, programs, and accomplishments of all agencies of the United States engaged in such activities;

(2) develop a comprehensive program of aeronautical and space activities to be conducted by agencies of the United States;

(3) designate and fix responsibility for the direction of major aeronautical and space activities;

(4) provide for effective cooperation between the National Aeronautics and Space Administration and the Department of Defense in all such activities, and specify which of such activities may be carried on concurrently by both such agencies notwithstanding the assignment of primary responsibility therefor to one or the other of such agencies;
and

(5) resolve differences arising among departments and agencies of the United States with respect to aeronautical and space activities under this Act, including differences as to whether a particular project is an aeronautical and space activity.

(f) The Council may employ a staff to be headed by a civilian executive secretary who shall be appointed by the President by and with the advice and the consent of the Senate and shall receive compensation at the rate of $20,000 a year. The executive secretary, subject to the direction of the Council, is authorized to appoint and fix the compensation of such personnel, including not more than three persons who may be appointed without regard to the civil service laws or the Classification Act of 1949 and compensated at the rate of not more that $19,000 a year, as may be necessary to perform such duties as may be prescribed by the Council in connection with the performance of its functions. Each appointment under this subsection shall be subject to the same security requirements as those established for personnel of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration appointed under section 203 (b) (2) of this Act.

(g) Members of the Council appointed from private life under subsection (a) (7) may be compensated at a rate not to exceed $100 per diem, and may be paid travel expenses and per diem in lieu of subsistence in accordance with the provisions of section 5 of the Administrative Expenses Act of 1946 (5 U.S.C. 73b-2) relating to persons serving without compensation.

The above are the relevant passages. To put it in legal terms, NASA is a de jure civilian agency but is a, part time, de facto subject of the Department of Defense. It’s right there in NASA's Charter.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by ??. Reason: Corrected vertical spacing. reset font.

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 3 months ago #11378 by Glitch_Neo
Replied by Glitch_Neo on topic Semi-translucent disc on Mars
Nice one CQ! I'll have a deeper read once I get back from work!

More
6 years 3 months ago #11383 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Semi-translucent disc on Mars
Interesting stuff but we may want to take this discussion to a more aptly titled thread. Try this one. ;)

www.whatsupinthesky.com/index.php/forum/news-spot/5046-nasa-origin-and-purpose#11382
The following user(s) said Thank You: RaptorZN2000

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: