file MARS Anomalies

5 years 11 months ago #12598 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic MARS Anomalies
The "ufo" from frame AS17-134-20416 is actually what we used to call a cinch mark, it's on the original 70mm negative or slide. It was caused when the film was bent into a point. I used to see hundreds of them.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #12599 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic MARS Anomalies

The "ufo" from frame AS17-134-20416 is actually what we used to call a cinch mark, it's on the original 70mm negative or slide. It was caused when the film was bent into a point. I used to see hundreds of them.

I haven't watched the video yet, so it could be the same "UFO" as the one I saw last night since it was on Apollo 17, but there was a wedge-shaped anomoly on the very last frame taken by the astronauts when returning from the moon. It was on a rerun of "NASA's Unexplained Files" on Science Channel last night. Their imaging expert (can't remember his name) said it looked like the film negative had been taped, and when the tape was taken off it tore the film in the wedge or triangular pattern. It could just as easily have been as you said, a cinch mark on the original film. You'd think the processors would have been a bit more careful in handling of high-value pictures from a lunar mission.

• RocketDawg
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #12600 by Todd
Most Mercury, Gemini and Apollo "ufos" are photographic defects. I've seen this one from Gemini 4 make the rounds lately, it's just a rip in the emulsion and possibly in the film itself. Jim McDivitt supposedly was witness to something unusual but this photo is likely not it.

NASA/JSC/Arizona State University original

Further damage is evident on the same reel just a few frames later.

You'd think the processors would have been a bit more careful in handling of high-value pictures from a lunar mission.

Maybe, but it's not an exact science. When processed, the emulsion gets very soft and weights were hung on the film as it dried which opened it up to all kinds of trouble. As the film dried it would twist and sometimes get stuck to itself. It's a process that I'm glad has been mostly phased out, it was not fun. Sometimes dirt and dust would get into the camera itself and scratch the emulsion as the film was being advanced before it was even processed.

I will say there are a couple of instances on film from Apollo I do consider anomalous but that's about it. One is the Apollo 10 command module footage as it passes an unknown object. Below at the 14:31 mark.

Although you might not call it a ufo, the Apollo 10 debris taken on orbit 28 seems anomalous to me. I speculate it was also taken by AS08.
www.whatsupinthesky.com/index.php/2013-04-24-00-44-09/moon/1027-lunar-object-thought-to-be-apollo-10-debris-taken-first-by-apollo-8
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Todd. Reason: links added
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glitch_Neo

More
5 years 11 months ago #12601 by Todd
Here's a view of the cinch mark from the NASA/JSC/Arizona State University scan.

Attachments:

More
5 years 11 months ago #12642 by ??

• ??
  • ??'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #12691 by ??

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #12720 by ??

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: