lock Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan

6 years 2 months ago #11778 by Marty
Replied by Marty on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
Something is a little odd Glitch. I have seen this before but usually on the outer edges of the gigapans . Just thought it was accidental overlap.
But this is right in the centre of wonderland.

Sol 603 Right Mastcam Composite "Drive to Southeast"

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/206253
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #11779 by Glitch_Neo
Replied by Glitch_Neo on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan

Something is a little odd Glitch. I have seen this before but usually on the outer edges of the gigapans . Just thought it was accidental overlap.
But this is right in the centre of wonderland.

Sol 603 Right Mastcam Composite "Drive to Southeast"

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/206253

Marty, you've had your carrots this evening :evil: Excellent spot... I had assumed similar, but not identical... now I'm thinking the image has been manipulated somewhat ;)

Hmmm, now this is interesting - usually you can get an "overlap" but its obvious like you say, the exact same rock six inches away from the exact same rock, same size and angle... but they are obviously a stitch error or perhaps 2 of the same image included in the stitching process :unsure: :dry:

But this looks more like NASA fakery to me - it is definately the same target from a slightly differing angle it seems :angry: :blink: , but some things compare, then other just don't.. I can't elaborate more on this one, as I'm gob smacked at the duplicity in the image... this is no overlap - more a fabrication of an area in the Mosaic... this screams tinkered / edited / 'fakery' and foolery to me.

Green rings = The image is the same in comparison

Red Rings = The Image is nothing alike, even taking into account the angle...

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Glitch_Neo.
More
6 years 2 months ago #11785 by Marty
Replied by Marty on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
Definitely something not right.
The blending ( if that is what you call it , brushing maybe) - of the sand.
Same pictured area, two different sizes --- but why? I didn't see much of any curiosity in this one and was about to pass it over when my brain clicked onto this.

What is everyone else thinking on this one ?????
Ladies, Gents -- thoughts ??
More
6 years 2 months ago #11786 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan

Definitely something not right.
The blending ( if that is what you call it , brushing maybe) - of the sand.
Same pictured area, two different sizes --- but why? I didn't see much of any curiosity in this one and was about to pass it over when my brain clicked onto this.

What is everyone else thinking on this one ?????
Ladies, Gents -- thoughts ??

Some things that come to mind ... were the two pictures that Glitch posted taken from the same camera? As far as I know, there are two mast cameras with a fair amount of separation. That could account for some of the angular difference, depending on how close to the cameras the target is. Maybe the rover moved and took pictures at different times with different sun angles?

I remember seeing on "What on Earth" a satellite photo that appeared to show an airplane crashed in a lake in Minnesota. Turns out it was a stitching error, an overlay. Could that be what's going on here? Maybe.

There have been another case or two I've seen on here where two different pictures showed a rock that was in one and not in the other. I doubt there's a coverup (why wouldl there be if it's just a pile of rocks?), so it has to have something to do with the way the pictures were processed.
  • RocketDawg
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #11792 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
Whatever blending option you used Glitch, blended left and right images together and rather seamlessly, but the separate L-Cam / R-Cam version you stitched and posted on Sept. 21st 2017 is aligned correctly. It is strange how the program got fooled into looking so seamless, but I bet if you go into the non-flattened version to see how the layers were aligned, you'll figure out where it happened.

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/202678
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glitch_Neo
  • Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago #11793 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
I'll start processing Sol 603, since I haven't done it, and see if I can duplicate the results.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glitch_Neo
  • Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #11796 by Glitch_Neo
Replied by Glitch_Neo on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan

Whatever blending option you used Glitch, blended left and right images together and rather seamlessly, but the separate L-Cam / R-Cam version you stitched and posted on Sept. 21st 2017 is aligned correctly. It is strange how the program got fooled into looking so seamless, but I bet if you go into the non-flattened version to see how the layers were aligned, you'll figure out where it happened.

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/202678

Todd, your a bloody genius - :blink: I'm still confused as to how I managed to mix the L&R version together - the size and angles are all wrong, and I keep them separate to save any 'blonde' moments,,,, Like this one!! :blush: :blush: Bloody amatures eh!? I'd sack that glitch bloke :huh:

Can I just ask, do you predominantly use ICE or do you use another software? Gigapan stitch is great for ordered even numbers of images - but I don't like it too much..
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Glitch_Neo.
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: