file Finally good news about life on Mars

8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #1635 by Dawn
Replied by Dawn on topic Finally good news about life on Mars
Thank you Todd, you sure have a wealth of knowledge, and the inclination to share! I noticed the scientist writing the article mentioned the possibility of some of the features we see at Olympus Mons show signs of glacial movement. Makes me think this volcano may not just be the largest in the solar system, it may be one of the oldest. IMHO, I'm thinking Olympus may have formed at or near the bombardment period, and been active off and on ever since.

This explanation leaves me torn, as I've come to appreciate the "Electric Universe" theory, explaining most, if not all, of the bizarre features, such as Valles Marinerus, that defy normal, terrestrial weathering patterns. Oh well, I guess there's no reason to think that ALL of them could have contributed to what the images show.

Thank you again, Todd. We have Hurricane Bill bearing down on us as I type; you've given me a lot of material to read--it'll keep me busy for awhile! :lol:
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Dawn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cruisedad

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #1639 by Dawn
Replied by Dawn on topic Finally good news about life on Mars
One more thing, about that Space.com article about the plumes. One theory they suggested as responsible for the plumes is that it could be related to the linear magnetic anomalies in the southern hemisphere.

all-geo.org/highlyallochthonous/2007/12/martian-plate-tectonics/

In this article, they try to visualize a spreading ridge/fracture zone, such as we have here on Earth, to explain the anomalous magnetics. This explanation appeals to me in that, if that is correct, could there still be some magmatic movement? Maybe not enough to continue the plate formation, but just enough to send a little heat towards the surface. Oh well, it's fun to tinker with different theories. Thanks again, Todd!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: