file Odd Landscape in Opportunity Panoramic Sol 3973

9 years 4 weeks ago #1087 by Wilson
Did anyone notice the arrow in the back ground? :huh:
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #1095 by ben evans
Replied by ben evans on topic Odd Landscape in Opportunity Panoramic Sol 3973
this really is an interesting photo. it seems when I see these small mounds on mars there seems to be larger rocks or boulders at the tops of them. it just seems strange that they would be there, and not more of them at the bottom of these mounds.

benny67

• ben evans
  • live free or die
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #1096 by Dawn
Thanks for pointing that out, Wilson, I missed it entirely. And, Ben, yes, can anyone say "Stonehenge"? LOL, I find it hard to believe that, once boulders move from whence they came, that gravity would not take over and make sure they are stopped! That this many boulders would defy gravity is beyond the pale!

Wilson, that dog is too cool for school!

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 9 months ago #1116 by Todd
Jane Doe, do you mean this area of the image?

Original NASA/JPL/Cornell Image Here
It looks like quite a few "remains" hanging around along with some other stuff. Too bad it's so noisy.

Wilson, you're very perceptive. ;)

mars.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/all/1/p/3973/1P480884529EFFCMQDP2392L5M1.HTML
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Todd. Reason: link added

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #1121 by Dawn
Yes, that is exactly what I was referring to. It looks for all the world like a partial skeleton to me. That does put the question to the "timeline" that scientists talk about, as far as the catastrophy that happened on Mars. Due to the extreme ultraviolet radiation, I find it hard to believe that any biological remains like bones would not have completely broken down by now, if the destruction happened so far back in the Mars timeline. Any organic matter should have been degraded long ago, unless we are looking at 1) something else entirely, or 2) fossilized remains that have recently been uncovered. Thanks for isolating that section for me, Todd, I'm finding GIMP a little awkward (or I'm just dense!) to use; maybe I just need a lot more practice!

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #1124 by Todd
You might find this image program more suited for what you want to do. GIMP 2 is primarily paint and has a lot of functions you may not need. ;)

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #1127 by Dawn
Thank you Todd! GIMP tool (for outlining objects, for instance) makes a huge, broad line, so I tried to narrow the gage but it's telling me I have to make and save my own tool for that. Just one example of the problems I've had with it, my son and I sat for over an hour the other night trying to adjust it. I finally gave up and just dropped into Paint for that and text. I might give that a try, see if it's simpler for me!

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: