check Unique Sample from Sol 1981 (Plus More)

5 years 9 months ago #13265 by Todd
A really interesting sample here from Sol 1981 with a unique, somewhat folded over, appearance. It seems quite different than the mineral vein material we usually see. It would be hard to fathom what life may have looked like in an ancient Martian lake or sea, but it wouldn't surprise me, if this piece and especially the fragmented pieces around it, were somehow a representation of ancient fossilized Martian life. This image was processed from the PDS raw DRCX .img file, enlarged enhancement below.

NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS original

Also from Sol 1981, a composite view of the Mount Sharp area from the Mastcam and a ChemCam composite showing a complex layer of material leading to the Mount Sharp area. The Mastcam composite was processed from the PDS raw DRCX .img files, the ChemCam composite was created from the raw .tif files.

NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS originals

NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS originals
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glitch_Neo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 9 months ago #13277 by dude
Replied by dude on topic Unique Sample from Sol 1981 (Plus More)
I'm sorry Todd, but I just don't see any hint of fossilized life in these images. in this case I think you assuming too much. just my opinion.

• dude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • retired mechanical designer.
More
5 years 9 months ago #13278 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Unique Sample from Sol 1981 (Plus More)
The mineral sample and the surrounding material were likely formed in a similar process to most of the other mineral vein samples we see, by accumulating in the cracks of the rock, probably from many years of run-off water flow. The question I'm really speculating about is, what was jammed in there with it to create the fragmented shapes? I find these pieces (among others), in the enlarged enhancements below, specifically of interest based on their appearance only. It is merely speculation though, like so much of this stuff unfortunately has to be.

NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS original
Attachments:

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: