file SOL 1386 Latest Damaged Wheel Image

7 years 10 months ago #5829 by dude
mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/01386/mhli/1386MH0002640000502660E01_DXXX.jpg
damage continues but not quite as bad as I thought it would be by now.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• dude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • retired mechanical designer.
More
7 years 10 months ago #5830 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic SOL 1386 Latest Damaged Wheel Image
I don't think it'll have to start driving backwards yet, anyway.

More
7 years 10 months ago #5831 by ??
Replied by ?? on topic SOL 1386 Latest Damaged Wheel Image
Fairly even wear and tear. Looks like the wheel alignment is still good. :lol:

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago #5837 by WillFarrar
Replied by WillFarrar on topic SOL 1386 Latest Damaged Wheel Image
Sure does look like a nice couple chunks out of it. I assume depending on which wheel would malfunction how hard it would be with the remaining 5 to try and keep the one destroyed or dragging wheel (assuming it locked or was aligned bad) off of the ground. I am sure they had extensively tested this at the rover yard. Hopefully before the mission not just when they realized that the surface of Gale was destroying the newly designed pimped out rims. ;)

More
7 years 10 months ago #5844 by dude
Replied by dude on topic SOL 1386 Latest Damaged Wheel Image
I believe in the article I read, the middle wheels take a higher loading because of the rocker arm suspension design. if the wheel ever separated across the rim I think it would have a good chance of locking up. if it ever stopped turning then the rover would be hard to control. plus the amount of turns they make are done with stepper motors and the number of steps would be hard to predict for the drivers.

• dude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • retired mechanical designer.
More
7 years 10 months ago #5859 by WillFarrar
Replied by WillFarrar on topic SOL 1386 Latest Damaged Wheel Image
Makes sense. I download the commands on the Analyst Notebook a lot for a various day and the number of actual commands it takes to do a simple task is insanity! I am sure the system they have put together converts from a GUI module of some sort to the actual text it fires out to the Rover.. It would become rather annoying to have to worry about a damn wheel locked. Hope they really think about the wheels for the 2020 launch.

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: