lightbulb Next time you look at a recent Curiosity image, do this...

8 years 2 months ago #4031 by Harry
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4032 by Todd
I think rotating images can be at times useful for perspective purposes, especially orbital imagery, but making images in the negative provides no real detail enhancement and usually ends up looking pretty confusing.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4038 by Harry
I agree, it doesn't always work for every image (and sometimes I have to do a combo of certain things) but what I find interesting is when looking at the original images they all seem to be flat or very little dimension/depth. When I see an anomaly, I usually only see a part of it and it takes a while to figure out if it's really something or just my eyes playing tricks or image artifact. They definitely do something to the recent images as the older images didn't seem to look so monochrome & flat as they do now IMO. My theory is that in the recent software upgrades they have added algorithms to detect the metal and give it a sand texture. They have a lot images they can use a base to determine what's what in an image. They also invert the dimension/depth in some way.

Here are a few snapshots from one of the 1249s images. Which ones make more sense to you? Group A or Group B?
I've added a red dot just for a reference point.

Group A

Group B

Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Harry.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4039 by Todd
By the way, welcome Harry! :cheer: I would say the orientation of group A shows the proper perspective. The reason the rover images look like they do (outside of the actual exposures and jpeg artifacts, that is) is actually the ICER process.
ipnpr.jpl.nasa.gov/progress_report/42-155/155J.pdf
Will made me aware of this site, the MSL Notebook. It's a user friendly tool to access science archive data. They have linked pds 8bit raw .lbl and .img file versions but they need processing, which is somewhat challanging. Once processed, they have minimal noise and artifacts but they only go up to Sol 1062 right now.
an.rsl.wustl.edu/msl/mslbrowser/
www.planetary.org/explore/space-topics/space-imaging/data.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

More
8 years 2 months ago #4057 by Badsneaker
Every once in a while I'll flip the image. Sometimes it helps. But these suggestions are more methods we can add to our tool box.

Thanks and welcome, Harry!

More
8 years 2 months ago #4064 by Todd
The negative image is a complete flip of perspective and what you end up with (I'm paraphrasing Keith Laney here) is mounds turning into craters and craters turning into mounds. Also I think the dark areas of an exposure still don't have enough detail for the flip to really enhance anything.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4079 by Harry
Thanks Todd & Badsneaker for the welcome. Great forum! I hope the stuff I contribute is useful.

Thanks for the ICER reference as well. Will did point me to the MSL Notebook & it's a great site too.

Just to be clear, I've noticed that flipping the image upside down has only made a difference for me in some of the latest images released. It's hit or miss but sometimes helps me figure out why an anomaly looks so strange.

I also have to say they have gotten very, very good at blending everything together so it just looks like a rock filled landscape.

Here's another interesting anomaly from the 1249 images (although it could be construed as pareidolia) :)

Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Harry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawn

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: