file Damaged Wheel

8 years 5 months ago #3125 by ben evans
Replied by ben evans on topic Damaged Wheel
I could never figure out why nasa used this type of material for the rovers wheels. it just don't make sense this is "Nasa" they should know how certain metals such as "aluminum" works after using it for many years here on earth we know that its a soft metal, but when we have a small car sized rover with all that weight riding on just aluminum metal something is bound to go wrong sooner or later, but better later than sooner. this should have given them an idea of what would be better suited for the job. I think nasa jpl should have done much more research into what would have worked better for a wheel other than aluminum, or using the aluminum along with something like a "carbon fiber" wrap over on the cleats of the rovers wheels, where they grab traction. this would have helped greatly to reduce the where, and tear on just the plain aluminum wheel. maybe they should have went with firestone, or Goodyear 100.000 mile warrantee. LOL. it does look bad, but if nasa could do a software adjustment so it keeps less weight off of those damaged wheels, and still work well then maybe it could go for another year maybe longer. I have no Idea just guessing. what do you guys think. is this it for our curiosity rover, or will this awesome rover keep going, and going like a 64 dodge dart 225 slant 6six.. thank you all. "god bless"

benny67
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ben evans
  • live free or die
More
8 years 5 months ago #3128 by Todd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Badsneaker

More
8 years 5 months ago #3136 by dude
Replied by dude on topic Damaged Wheel
YES, I ALSO THINK CARBON FIBER WOULD BE A GOOD CHOICE. THE THING THAT WORRIES ME IS, WHAT IF A ROCK GETS JAMMED INTO ONE OF THESE GAPING HOLES. EVEN THE SQUARE HOLES THEY DESIGNED INTO THE WHEEL NEVER LOOKED LIKE A GOOD IDEA TO ME. SEEMS LIKE YOUR JUST ASKING FOR TROUBLE TO ME. HOW WOULD THEY EVER SHAKE OR PULL A ROCK OUT???

• dude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • retired mechanical designer.
More
8 years 5 months ago #3152 by Dawn
Replied by Dawn on topic Damaged Wheel
:S That's interesting, I wonder what the Rover was driving over at around SOL 708 that could cause that kind of damage? That was back before I got into looking at anomalies...maybe I need to go back a few SOLs and take a look. Has anybody figured out what SOL specifically was the one on which the damage occurred? Good topic, you guys!

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: