file Gordii Dorsum Again

8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #2957 by Haymaker
Gordii Dorsum Again was created by Haymaker
We've looked at this before but it is a massive file. I'm working with the 1.44 GB Greyscale JP2 file. The image below is from the far north of the polygonal ridge system . It is from the left (West) side of the far North East of the ridge system.

On the left image I give a clue where to find the pillar. If I have the dimensions right I make the pillar about 12 metres tall (approx.). Which my gut says is too tall. So maybe I'm out. I get that figure by extrapolating 25cm = 1 pixel as per the data provided just below where you download the file. To open the file I use Irfan View. I use the "Capture Visible Window Area" under Edit and save as a Jpeg file. This file has a height of 613 pixels. To get the 22 metres figure I brute the answer by working out the height of the pillar relative to the whole image. If this is a stone age way of working I'll happily take advice. Anyhow I'm getting a ball park figure of 12m. if anyone is more expert at this I'd very much like to know what height they get?

okay edit: the image makes more sense if inverted. Maybe shave a couple of metres off that 12m figure.

Last edit: I've outlined what I think is the shape of the "pillar" structure.
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Haymaker.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Haymaker
  • Haymaker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 6 months ago #2958 by retro78
Replied by retro78 on topic Gordii Dorsum Again
cool image, I will deff check out that raw photo !! thanks
Do you by chance have and url to the tiff or jpg?

More
8 years 6 months ago #2960 by Haymaker
Replied by Haymaker on topic Gordii Dorsum Again
oops! Though I included a link
hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/ESP_017348_1910
You can download jpeg versions but you really need the jp2 file which is big. I use Irfan View (freeware) to open the file but it is still cumbersome. But there is an option to split the image into smaller jpeg files. But with the loss of information it is better to take a screen shot and paste that in whatever software you are using.

I put together a quick video to show folks how to find the pillar feature.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawn, retro78

• Haymaker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 6 months ago #2965 by Haymaker
Need help distinguishing a duck-rabbit perspective problem. Is the feature a dark column (as per images 1, 2, and possibly 3) or is it two lighter stone structures with dark shadow between them (per 4, 5, 6 and maybe 3). And if the latter are they vertical per 4 or are more horizontal as per 5. I have my opinion but would like feedback please.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Todd, technovative

• Haymaker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 6 months ago #2972 by Haymaker
Found a new mage viewer: Highview.
www.uahirise.org/hiview/
Handles large jp2 file effortlessly compared to irfanview that struggles with the massive file.

Higview has less tool and gizmos but it does have a pixel measurement tool. This answers my initial question. The length/height of the column is around 7 metres.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawn, retro78

• Haymaker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #2975 by Haymaker
Getting on much better with the Highview viewer. Nice software.

Also think I've answered most of my own questions. I judge the image below is the best perspective as the shadows are consistent on this view. the vertical line is also consistent with the blocks that make the line of the wall.

the pillar/wall feature is approximately 21 pixels which at 27.8 cm per pixel as per the Hirise website makes 5.8 metre.
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Haymaker.

• Haymaker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 5 months ago #2986 by Dawn
Replied by Dawn on topic Gordii Dorsum Again
LOL, I've always had trouble with judging perspective, but my eyes seem to deal with Image #4 best. So that would put the structure at about 16 1/2 feet tall, which would work out to about 3 stories, more or less? Very nice find, and I appreciate ya'll posting the link to HiView again, I had it at one time, then forgot about it. Thanks, beautiful images!

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: