• dude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • retired mechanical designer.
More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #2405 by Badsneaker
Replied by Badsneaker on topic Iron Kettel & Ring
Dude, does this make it clearer?

Good eye! There is a LOT of great stuff in this SOL!
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Badsneaker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dude, Cruisedad

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #2406 by Cruisedad
Replied by Cruisedad on topic Iron Kettel & Ring
Great job on this image Badsneaker! What filters are you using, and are you using blur or sharpen? There's a lot of stuff here as you said!!! Also are you using high pass? I use four layers of it at different settings, with soft and hard light. You made this image look really good!!!

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #2416 by Badsneaker
Replied by Badsneaker on topic Iron Kettel & Ring
That image came from here: mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=0790ML0034430010400541E01_DXXX&s=790

I should have posted the link. Sorry.

Curiosity images are already processed (I'm still looking for the unprocessed archives). The only thing I would do with them is add a Levels adjustment layer and shift the RGB colors individually to the red, just a little, and add a tiny more bit of contrast. Interestingly, Curiosity's images use web-safe colors, so the filters to use would be Red #ff0000, Green #00ff00 and Blue #0000ff. It makes sense when you consider that the images are posted on the web for downloading so they need to maintain some sort of consistency.

Opportunity and Spirit, however, are a completely different story. You can download the actual unprocessed greyscale images, often with 3 images (1 Red, 1 Green, 1 Blue) for each 1 full color image. Sometimes you get 6 greyscale images which can get hairy. In any case, the filters are all "shifted" toward the red end of the spectrum, When you end up with is Red at #a10000, Green is #5eff00, and Blue is #3d00ff. In wavelengths that would be 750nm, 530nm, and 430nm respectively. The final image these make up represents what you and I would see were we to be standing right there next to the rover, and hence aka TrueColor.

Very cool stuff!!
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Badsneaker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cruisedad

More
8 years 8 months ago #2420 by Cruisedad
Thanks Badsneaker! Being self-taught in PS, I've got a lot to learn. I appreciate your help!!!

More
8 years 8 months ago #2447 by technovative
Replied by technovative on topic Iron Kettel & Ring
Before...

After the rover drove over...
mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/00817/mcam/0817ML0035990030401071E01_DXXX.jpg

Rocks don't bend, buckle, or tear... but sheet metal does. Also, what might this be?

The following user(s) said Thank You: WillFarrar, Cruisedad, Laird

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #2448 by Cruisedad
I saw that too technovative!! Good catch!! I also believe there is water surrounding this metal anomaly. Maybe it was used to store water,and the rover wheels caused the release of the water. I saw like you, what appears to be a vehicle...car or aircraft...don't know.. There are several in the image that I saw. Also I believe a man and woman can be seen in the full image standing and looking at the destruction and also several other creatures running around. It looks like we're looking at what's left of a structure foundation directly behind the tank, or metal object. The wall posts that are still standing have been bent over, and are leaning toward the rover cam. I've seen a lot of these small humanoids and creatures, and we're not exactly leaving a good impression on them!! We've just been mowing over these settlements with little, or no concern...leaning heavily towards the no concern. I hope this doesn't come back and bite us someday...you just don't know.
Look at my older topic entry called "Martian Natives and the Rover" and you'll see some more death and destruction the rover has done. NASA really needs to get the rover into a less populated area "pronto" without causing to many more casualties (that's my opinion anyway).
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Cruisedad.

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: