check Manipulated Mounds in Thaumasia?

8 years 9 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #2197 by Todd
Manipulated Mounds in Thaumasia? was created by Todd
The mounds in the Thaumasia region of Mars, taken by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter HiRISE camera , have a pictorial appearance, as if they have been manipulated to appear this way. Also among the mounds, objects resembling square and rectangular structures which appear partially buried. The mounds inside the impact crater (below) were likely somehow created after the impact event.

NASA/JPL/University of Arizona Original
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Todd. Reason: repaired spacing
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 6 months ago #6832 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Manipulated Mounds in Thaumasia?
Here is more from HiRISE ESP_026378_1410RED taken of Thaumasia, this time processed from the EDR PDS raw .img files and assembled. I also did a deconvolution stretch to sharpen the images.

Below, enlarged from above.

NASA/JPL/University of Arizona original

hirise-pds.lpl.arizona.edu/PDS/EDR/ESP/ORB_026300_026399/ESP_026378_1410/

• Todd
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 6 months ago #6841 by WillFarrar
Replied by WillFarrar on topic Manipulated Mounds in Thaumasia?
This one is WILD! Great job man. I have been so busy with work I come to the site and see all sorts of great stuff from everyone! You have the PDS almost mastered! It really has been such a big help to be able to go back and get the data at 100 percent lossless 8 bit for some of them! Thank for everything buddy! This ones GREAT!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Todd

More
7 years 6 months ago #6843 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Manipulated Mounds in Thaumasia?
Thanks, I found out the HiRISE stuff is by far the most challenging to process. The raw tiles have different issues than the JP2's. For starters, a lot of the tiles have some kind of bright edge bleed with image details behind it, so it makes it hard to blend them together without a nasty seam. Although they are generally noise free, there is some kind of striping noise that occasionally shows up on some the raw tiles only. Orbital photography is plagued with shadows, so getting a balance with details in the underexposed sections is difficult. If you're putting just the red image together, there's usually about 18 tiles to combine and they can be 75000px in length. :blink:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Harry

• Todd
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: