Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #2157 by Dawn
Replied by Dawn on topic "Lamoose" and "Missoula"
Todd, those are interesting images. The first one, PIA19828, seems to be a piece of deposition? (check me on that!) formed of many thin layers of mineral. The overall shape suggests to me that it formed around a stationary object, then the entire piece that we see broke loose? Do you know enough about geology to correct/confirm?

The second image is, frankly, fabricated (in my opinion) Look closely at the tops of the stacked images, especially from the center one, over to the far right. The sand-flow-past-the-rock part--it's repeated in the last 3 images. The small squared-off rock is missing from the middle image, but other than that, the tops of those images are pretty much the same.. I ran the image through FotoForensics and noted that the entire image is very "noisy". I'm thinking this whole montage was cooked up to cover what was really on the top of that little rock shelf.

What does everyone else think of these? I want to work on PIA19829 some more, but that was my first impression.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Dawn. Reason: Correct spelling

More
8 years 9 months ago #2158 by Dawn
Replied by Dawn on topic "Lamoose" and "Missoula"
I just put it in Paint right quick so I could draw a box around it, this is PIA19829
Attachments:

More
8 years 9 months ago #2170 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic "Lamoose" and "Missoula"
When it comes to deposition responsible for creating "Lamoose", you are probably right on the money. Unless it's an artifact, like a piece of road or sidewalk, for example. The image of "Missoula" is a mosaic made of Sol 1031 MAHLI cam images . Since it's a mosaic of several images, the effect you are seeing is a variance in focal length and focal ratio combined in one image.
msl-scicorner.jpl.nasa.gov/Instruments/MAHLI/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawn

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 9 months ago #2173 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic "Lamoose" and "Missoula"
..and by the way, I think "Missoula" is two geologic layers with remnants of a destroyed civilization in the middle. This is why that center material kind of looks like gum stuck between the road and a shoe. All that is left in the layer there, are the decayed elements of what was once a civilization. Over time it has broken down and decayed leaving the unusual holes and spaces that don't appear to be volcanic in nature. Who knows, there are perhaps several civilizations which have been compiled with the geologic record underground over perhaps billions of years. This may not be the same civilization with which we see potentially intact ruins on the surface either. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawn

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: