file Saucer has landed

8 years 9 months ago #2137 by dude
Saucer has landed was created by dude
CUROSITY ROVER
SOL 532
NAVCAM LEFT B
TIMES; 19:17:43 & 19:18:14
A VERY SHINY METALLIC FLYING SAUCER HAS LANDED ON A ROCK & THEN IN THE NEXT IMAGE (31 SECONDS LATER) IT HAS VANISHED! IT MUST BE OBSERVING OUR ROVER AND GOT CAUGHT BY OUR CAMERA BY ACCIDENT.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• dude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • retired mechanical designer.
More
8 years 9 months ago #2164 by Dawn
Replied by Dawn on topic Saucer has landed
Okay, I hope I found the right one, at the least the one image has the UFO on it. I used Paint as it's easier for me to use the boxes and arrows in Paint than in my other program, but I couldn't lighten them up to get better contrast. Do you suppose the Rover just moved over enough that the rock that it was sitting on was behind the hill in the second image? Pretty interesting--it may be something prosaic, but it certainly is shaped like the traditional "saucer". Nice catch!
Attachments:

More
8 years 9 months ago #2168 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Saucer has landed
That one is hard to identify since the corresponding right image would obscure the light if it was there, so there is no way of telling if the light is present in the right image. Like most of the bright spots in the Curiosity navcam images, it's most likely a sun glint off a reflective rock or a cosmic ray striking the detector creating data fallout. This happens frequently with the SOHO mission.
soho.nascom.nasa.gov/hotshots/2003_01_17/full.gif
www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4102
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawn

More
8 years 9 months ago #2169 by dude
Replied by dude on topic Saucer has landed
hi todd & jane doe, I hope you go back and look at my original jpeg's and just enlarge them 4X and you will see the same rock clearly. I was excited to find a "before" and "after " shot of this anomaly. after scanning thousands of images I feel it is so rare to find signs of movement or changes since we have no way to overlay these photos on top of each other. thanks for the remarks since I still feel this is one my best finds. please do more enhancements to show this better.

• dude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • retired mechanical designer.
More
8 years 9 months ago #2171 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Saucer has landed
The camera appears to have moved position for the next image, so if it was a bright reflection, the vantage point for the reflection likely changed making it go away. Each navcam has its own detector, so if it was a cosmic ray, it would likely appear only once in either the left or right camera.
www-robotics.jpl.nasa.gov/publications/Mark_Maimone/fulltext.pdf

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: