file Ceres is not alone!

8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #2119 by Dawn
Ceres is not alone! was created by Dawn
:pinch:

Sorry guys, I just couldn't resist the title! In this HiRISE image, the image was very dark, so these bright spots stuck right out. I zoomed as much as I could without significant pixelation, hiked the brightness and contrast, and sharpened it a bit. The "ejecta" around these holes is much, much brighter than anything else in the image. What do you guys think?

Here's the original link:

hirise-pds.lpl.arizona.edu/PDS/EXTRAS/RDR/ESP/ORB_041200_041299/ESP_041208_1755/ESP_041208_1755_RGB.NOMAP.browse.jpg

It's labeled "Candidate New Impact Site"
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Dawn. Reason: Forgot to include link

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Dawn
  • Dawn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 9 months ago #2124 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Ceres is not alone!
Do you have a link to the original HiRISE image?

More
8 years 9 months ago #2136 by Dawn
Replied by Dawn on topic Ceres is not alone!
I haven't mastered this image program yet, so the enhanced photo came out the wrong size! It's hard to even see the bright spots on the enhanced version--maybe you can play with the original and see what you can spot? Thanks Todd!

• Dawn
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #2139 by Todd
The origin of the spots on Ceres I don't believe are impact related as they are here on Mars in the MRO HiRISE image , but their significance may be equally important. The bright material could belong to the actual impact object itself. A simple way to let someone know you're there, create a reflector. Nice find. ;)

NASA/JPL/University of Arizona Original
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Todd.

More
8 years 9 months ago #2150 by Todd
Let me clarify a little, the reflector theory is certainly an outside chance, but I do believe it could be a remote possibility. What is more likely is that the impact event turned up visually reflective hydrated silicate minerals just under the surface. So this event points more to a watery past. In other words, the collision likely exposed Martian mica. ;)
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2009JE003339/pdf
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawn

More
8 years 9 months ago #2159 by Dawn
Replied by Dawn on topic Ceres is not alone!
B)

Funny you should say that....I thought about that some more after I posted it, and thought maybe something impacted a shallowly-buried glacier-like formation, but your explanation makes a lot of sense. Either way, Mars does seem to have/had plenty of water! Yay!

• Dawn
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: