file Violent red flashes seen from black hole V404 Cygni

8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4325 by ??
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by ??. Reason: Adusted font.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ??
  • ??'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #4327 by Badsneaker
I have to say that in my lifetime I've watched black holes go from hypothetical to actually observable phenomena. Absolutely incredible!

Thank you for posting , CitizenQuasar!

More
8 years 2 months ago #4333 by Todd
I think one of the first real public references to a black hole was the original Star Trek episode "Tomorrow is Yesterday." The writers were obviously somewhat "in the know."
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Tomorrow_is_Yesterday_(episode)

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #4338 by ??
The term "black hole" was coined by John Wheeler . While I did post this article as just a passing news item, I do, sometimes, question the very existence of black holes due to the work of Paul LaViolette and his theory of subquantum kinetics . But I really don't know. It remains a bauble of the mind for me...something to ponder from time to time.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by ??. Reason: Corrected LaViolette link. Reset font.

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 1 month ago #4340 by Todd

The term "black hole" was coined by John Wheeler.

The name was a suggestion from an audience member at Dr. Wheeler's talk at the 1967 Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York. Star Trek had used the term "black star" on 01/26/67, the conference was Jan. 23rd-27th. My best guess, the audience member had seen the episode, which was actually filmed in 1966, so really I personally credit Star Trek with the term but different terminology had been thrown around since the 1950's.

history.nasa.gov/AAchronologies/1967.pdf
www.nytimes.com/2008/04/14/science/14wheeler.html?_r=0

More
8 years 1 month ago #4343 by ??
I did not know that. I learned something today. Thank you. (+1 karma, if it will post.)

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 1 month ago #4362 by Todd
I guess we'll never know who the audience member was. Richard C. Hoagland, was that you? :P

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: