check MSL Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan

2 years 1 month ago #17251 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic MSL Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
There are some interesting spheres in the lower center of the top picture. And something of note in the second image is a layer of rocks on the right slope of the hill (crater edge?) are totally different from those under it.

I assume these pitures are from Curiosity and the images are from Gale Crater. It must have been a very explosive impact when the large meteorite hit the surface.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #17252 by Todd
The spheres are weird, the one on the right of the top left image looks square. Hard for me to say exactly what has been happening in Gale in terms of morphology. It's an ancient crater estimated to be as old as 3.8 billion years. Not sure if any evidence of the original impact outside the crater itself is still in existence, especially if it was a lake. The impact itself may not necessarily be the only high heat incident the crater has experienced. There does seem to be a blue igneous wall of material surrounding where the water might have been and some of that rock is collapsing down further into the crater. The question is, is it a naturally occurring structure or something more unconventional? I have a feeling Will will be talking about that in the coming days / weeks. 

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 1 month ago #17254 by Todd
Composite processed from Mastcam images taken on Sol 3274 & 3278.

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/228904

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 1 month ago #17255 by Todd
Composites processed from Mastcam images taken on Sol 3279.

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/228905

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 1 month ago #17256 by Todd
Composites processed from Mastcam images taken on Sol 3280.

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/228911

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 1 month ago #17258 by Todd
Composites processed from Mastcam images taken on Sol 3282 & 3283.

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/228917

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 1 month ago #17262 by Todd
Composites processed from Mastcam images taken on Sol 3285 & 3286. That will likely do it until the next MSL PDS release in August.

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/228935

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: