file Rectangular Depressions on "Pillar" in Spirit Rover Image

9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #956 by Todd
Spirit Rover's Panoramic Camera images this object 5 times on Sol 088 . The stone appears to have rectangular holes or depressions. Since square or rectangular holes do not happen in volcanism, it makes this stone unique.

Original NASA/JPL/Cornell Image Here

The object can also be seen in these 4 images.
mars.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/all/2/p/088/2P134170557EFF2300P2370L2M1.HTML
mars.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/all/2/p/088/2P134170557EFF2300P2370R2M1.HTML
mars.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/all/2/p/088/2P134170603EFF2300P2370R7M1.HTML
mars.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/all/2/p/088/2P134170644EFF2300P2370L7M1.HTML
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by Todd. Reason: added information
The following user(s) said Thank You: Exedron, Wilson

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #957 by Exedron
Strange pattern on this rock...thanks.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #1018 by Dawn
Kind of like cinder blocks...

More
8 years 2 months ago #4008 by Todd
Here are new versions, these are the full images processed from the pds raw img files.

NASA/JPL/Cornell browse versions here.
Attachments:

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 2 months ago #4011 by ??
I suppose this could be a natural formation, some kind of regular sedimentation maybe. But given the overwhelming abundance of such geometrically regular objects discovered everywhere we look on Mars, I am going to say this is a manufactured buttress of some sort.

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 9 months ago #5989 by Todd
Although the green filter appears to be missing from this image, I was able to create a false color image by doubling one of the red filters as a green. How accurate the color actually is here is a mystery, but I think it does give a partial perspective on what the color could be, at least a certain percentage of it.

NASA/JPL/Cornell original raw browse jpgs:
mars.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/all/2/p/088/2P134170557EFF2300P2370L2M1.HTML
mars.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/all/2/p/088/2P134170603EFF2300P2370L4M1.HTML
mars.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/all/2/p/088/2P134170644EFF2300P2370L7M1.HTML

an.rsl.wustl.edu/mera/merxbrowser/product.aspx?BG=2P134170557RAD2300P2370L2C1
Attachments:

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #5993 by ??
The rock in question appears to have a darker (bluish?) color on its diagonal surface on its right diagonal side. To me this indicates a different surface material on this side. Either that or the application of some kind of energy, perhaps thermal, on this surface that altered its reflective properties.

To this rock’s right is a solitary rock with an equilateral triangle shadow on its obverse surface that appears to me to have similar a similar coloring pattern. Looking at the image more generally, it looks like several other rocks have similar coloring patterns.

One hypothesis is that some kind of blast impacted these rocks with thermal energy and it discolored their surfaces when the blast wave encountered them.

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: