file Mineralogist needed

6 years 3 months ago #11185 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic Mineralogist needed
I don't know what the cones or pyramids are, but I would guess a mud cone, or mud volcano. Should be round in that case though, but that's the closest Earthly phenomenon I could come up with.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #11186 by ??
Replied by ?? on topic Mineralogist needed
Perhaps a substance manifested its crystalline structure into the macro-scale. Does anybody know if any minerals have a similarly shaped crystalline structure?

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 3 months ago #11187 by Smittysmit
Replied by Smittysmit on topic Mineralogist needed
After looking online for larger bismuth crystals, there are several of them out there that do have a square appearance as opposed to rectangular. They tend to look similar to the pyramid but the problem is bismuth crystals grow Inward and down whereas the pyramid is growing up and outward. These larger crystals are still not that large and can be held in your hand. They're actually really awesome looking crystals. www.bismuthcrystal.com

Todd, are you able to guesstimate the size of that pyramid?

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #11191 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Mineralogist needed

Todd, are you able to guesstimate the size of that pyramid?

I'd guess it's around 3 to 4 meters from the rover itself, based on the full mosaic of all the 34 L-Cam images taken on sol 1373. So around 16 cm tall from the visible base, maybe? I'm not sure "pyramid" would be the proper terminology, but it is roughly pyramidal in shape and the buttresses facing the camera appear quite unique. I'd really like to see the other side. It is a left cam wide image, so not quite as clear as it could be, but I believe this is all we have. I'll triple check and see if there's anything else.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Todd. Reason: link inserted

More
6 years 3 months ago #11193 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic Mineralogist needed
Smitty, I've gotta admit that I'd never heard of bismuth crystals. Those things are beautiful ... don't even look real. Thanks for the link ... I just spent some time looking it over.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #11195 by ??
Replied by ?? on topic Mineralogist needed
There is a consideration of geologic formations possibly being very large crystalline structures in this forum HERE .The relevant parts of the video posted there are from about 2:08:25 to about 2:24:00.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by ??. Reason: Corrected link. Reset font.

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 3 months ago #11196 by dude
Replied by dude on topic Mineralogist needed
mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/00075/mcam/0075MR0005640000103728E01_DXXX.jpg
I knew I had an image of another pyramid close to the original one in question, but it took me a while to find it. this one also has segmented bricks & has the sphere on top.
Attachments:

• dude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • retired mechanical designer.
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: