check Curiosity Rover Sol 1848: Corroded Metallic Chip?

6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #10401 by Todd
An interesting sample appears in images from sol 1848. It's a small multi-colored chip of material with a thin edge that resembles what a piece of corroded sheet metal might look like after being exposed to many years of elements. Below, the right Mastcam from 1848. Since it's the raw browse jpg, I tried to clean the noise up a bit, enhanced enlargement below.

NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS original

There are also two Chem-Cam images of the object, which leads me to believe that the sample may have been brushed and possibly zapped with the chem laser. Based on its appearance, it really doesn't look like it though. The image below is what I think is the best of the two. I used the enhanced version and enhanced it a little further.

NASA/JPL-Caltech/LANL original

I thought this Mastcam image from 1848 was also worth noting. A lot going on here, the partially flat circular protrusion on the bottom center is bizarre. The small round holes and integrated mineral materials make for an interesting sample.

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Todd. Reason: type error
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glitch_Neo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #12189 by Todd
Here are new versions processed from the PDS raw DRCX .img files.

Attachments:

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #12190 by dude
it does look like it was brushed which revealed more bare shiny metal high points. good possibility that it is metal. good find Todd & well presented.

• dude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • retired mechanical designer.
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: