check Opportunity Rover: "Cape St. Mary" in Alternate Lighting Conditions

6 years 5 months ago #10326 by Todd
These are two composites made from Pan-cam images taken on sol 1006 showing a section of Victoria Crater's cliff side / crater wall. The images included in the top composite were taken at "late morning," the images included in the bottom composite were taken at "mid-afternoon." The images were processed from the PDS raw .img files and stacked for RGB color.

NASA/JPL/Cornell originals

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA09086
photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA09079
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 5 months ago #10327 by RocketDawg
The detail differences are striking to the point of the two not even looking like the same place except around the edges, so to speak. It would be nice if each picture that was taken had morning, noon, and late afternoon lighting conditions.

Todd ... do you know if there's any capability for 3-D, or stereoscopic, imaging on the rover? I remember seeing some of the Apollo stereo pictures and they added a lot to the details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glitch_Neo

• RocketDawg
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #10334 by Todd
The cliff side is more illuminated in the morning light because the sun is at a lower angle, the afternoon images show better ground detail because of the higher sun. The MSL team frequently takes left and right images of certain targets and those images can be made into 3-D anaglyphs, but the red / cyan glasses are needed to view them. Here's an example of one I did back in 2016.
www.whatsupinthesky.com/media/kunena/attachments/1237/sol1110a.png

Some of the MSL and MER 360° images have been turned into pans by Neville Thompson, but MSL sols where that can be done are somewhat rare.

www.360cities.net/profile/nev-t
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Todd. Reason: updated, removed erroneous info

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #10335 by Glitch_Neo
:ohmy: Todd = Imaging demi god!

EDIT

quick 5 mins job so its only an example - we can mix the two images - the crater detail and the outer detail from each image... like this...
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Glitch_Neo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Todd

More
6 years 5 months ago #10336 by Todd
Actually, the MER Pan-cam Mast Assembly has a left and right lens and is capable of directing the navcams, thus making 360° and left / right images possible. I have no idea how often it was done but there are a lot of anaglyphs from all the rover missions in the Photojournal.

www-robotics.jpl.nasa.gov/publications/Reg_Willson/2003JE002077.pdf

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: