file Sol 1795. Interesting ChemCam image

6 years 7 months ago #9721 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Sol 1795. Interesting ChemCam image
Those features might be visible in the upcoming sol 1797 right Mastcam images, hard to tell from the thumbnails though.

www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/sol/01797.html

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #9803 by Haymaker
Replied by Haymaker on topic Sol 1795. Interesting ChemCam image
Eight Mastcam images of the ridge with the cross have now turned up on Sol 1795. However they are the degraded black and white images and they are not any better - if not worse - than the chemcam images.
mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/01795/mcam/1795MR0092610270604194C00_DXXX.jpg
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Haymaker.

More
6 years 7 months ago #9809 by Haymaker
Here is the mission update for what Nasa have named the Vera Rubin ridge. They use the chemcam shot of the "cross" feature at the top of the page and mention the long range shots taken by the chemcam and yet fail to mention the feature. Not noteworthy I guess.
mars.nasa.gov/MSL/mission/mars-rover-curiosity-mission-updates/?mu=sol-1797-1799-scrutinizing-vera-rubin-ridge
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joe Hartung

More
6 years 7 months ago #9813 by Joe Hartung
Replied by Joe Hartung on topic Sol 1795. Interesting ChemCam image
This in my eyes is very bizzar. The "cross" feature deserves to be discussed and analyzed publicly. Asking NASA directly would probably not lead to an answer. Recently I sent a question by the contact formular on jpl on why many raw images get published in black and white although the thumbnails are in color. As expected the question has not been anwered until now. So what about informing Mr. Hoagland or the press about the "cross" feature ?

More
6 years 7 months ago #9814 by Todd
I'd like to see a better quality image, like an R-cam image, right now I'd settle for an L-cam image. The team seems interested in the feature, hence the chem image, so I expect there will be more to come, like the sol 1797 R-cam images which have so far only come down as thumbnails. The sol 1795 image color will come down with the PDS release in spring 2018.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #9817 by Haymaker
Clearly the mission team have noticed the "cross" as they now have at least two chemical images and eight further b/w images from the Mastcam - the eight b/w images they delayed posting.

I find it interesting they have given a mission report headed by a very obvious image of the "cross" but fail to mention it. If you remember the "femur bone" image from Sol 719 they made the effort to comment on that image within about a week with the dismissive headline "Bone up on Mars rock shapes" and then "no bones about it". mars.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/?ImageID=6538
That they bothered to note the "femur bone" says to me they were confident it was just a rock.

So I guess we must await the "sculpted by erosion" analysis once they have come up with a suitably corny headline for the "cross". The other possibility is that the feature really has left them scratching their heads and they have yet to work out how to respond. I think they have a problem as they have driven so far into this desert there is no turning back. Meaning if they give the slightest hint there is something artificial about this feature then what about all those other features enthusiasts like those of us here have been pointing out for the last few years. As they are in the habit of just ignoring or dismissing then it is difficult to change tactic without a change of management. The less certain Nasa are concerning this feature the more likely they will just stay silent and offer no more images. Like the "Crinoid" image taken by Opportunity they just won't mention it again.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Haymaker.

More
6 years 7 months ago #9939 by Todd
Well, unfortunately, the sol 1797 raw browse jpg R-cams went up without the color. We'll see the color in six months or so.

www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/sol/01797.html

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: