check Curiosity Sol 1668 – Composite View & Anomalies

6 years 10 months ago #8900 by Harry
This composite view of Mars Sol 1668 consists of 16 individual images from the Right Mast Camera (Mastcam) (MSSS-MALIN) on the Curiosity Rover.

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/199398

Anomalies...

waslifeonmars.com/mars-sol-1668-composite-view-1-anomalies/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #8903 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic Curiosity Sol 1668 – Composite View & Anomalies
Harry: Could you post a brief narrative telling what is anamolous about each area that you have circled? I'm not trying to be contentious ... just trying to see what you see that I fail to see.

• RocketDawg
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 10 months ago #9052 by Harry
Hey RocketDawg - Sorry for the delayed response. Sure, first I'd like to say that I think many of these images contain pieces of manufactured or artificial items, so I try to look for things that have sharp edges, angles, symmetry or are cylindrical, etc, etc, etc., and look odd or out of place. I'll do my best to explain them.

1st image: Straight edges on left, top, right with 45 degree angles on left/right sides. It's hard to tell the depth of the item but it looks similar to a metal plate with some kind of design on front of it. It's also odd sticking out of the "rock" too. But I could be completely wrong. :)

2nd image: I find it a very odd shape with pointed front and on the bottom left hand corner it seems to have some symmetry with curves going inward. There is also a curve on the right hand bottom side of the item. The layers of the item itself seem strange too.

3rd image: The left circled item is hard to discern what it really is but to me seems to have symmetrical features on both right and left sides of it. The right circled item seems to be sticking out of the ground on a (for a lack of better word) stem with a strange top and seems to have a shadow right below it on the ground. The bottom circled item is probably the most interesting item and has a lot of weird details to it especially the thing sticking off the top of it.

4th image: I don't know what those items are, but I would bet they aren't rocks. They just have a lot of strange details to them with overlapping pieces, curves, rounded edges, wavy edges, etc. To me it looks like a remnant of a part (mechanical maybe) and we are seeing the chambers inside the item, kind of like a cross section.

5th image: pretty much the same description as the 4th image above with other items laying around it.

6th image: Here's another view of the item (bottom right circled item) from Sol 1662...

7th image: the item seems to have a rounded piece on top with a circle inside it (opened)

I hope this helps. :)

More
6 years 10 months ago #9133 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic Curiosity Sol 1668 – Composite View & Anomalies
Thanks Harry. Yes, that does indeed help a lot. I tend to be highly skeptical when it comes to finding manufactured items on Mars, but one never knows. I suppose one thing though ... if everything we have seen that folks think might be artificial, or "man"made, and given that Curiosity only has about 10 miles on the odometer, we could possibly conclude that there's a good chance that the entire Martian surface shows signs of life. Either that, or we just happened to land in a very anomaly-rich place. And if these are "just rocks", by the same token there very well could be signs of life in other areas since we've only covered a very minute part of the surface with the rovers.

I love all the pictures from Mars from all the missions, and hope I live long enough to see actual manned missions to the Red Planet. What has been accomplished in the last 50 or so years is absolutely astounding. That's why I loved my job. :)

• RocketDawg
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: