compress Two Different Sets of Wheel Tracks?

6 years 9 months ago #8820 by Badsneaker
Replied by Badsneaker on topic Two Different Sets of Wheel Tracks?

Todd has a pretty good argument.

I've attached images of Curiosity's wheels.. You can see some sections of the tread can indeed leave a waffling in the soil

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Todd, dude

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #8822 by dude
Replied by dude on topic Two Different Sets of Wheel Tracks?
your image selection shows exactly what I am seeing. good job Todd for straightening us out on this question. you are an extremely wise person & we are lucky to have your experience & guidance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Todd

• dude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • retired mechanical designer.
More
6 years 9 months ago #8823 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Two Different Sets of Wheel Tracks?
Thanks Badsneaker, I forgot to mention the short waffle pattern on the wheel itself. All those factors are likely involved in making the older length of track appear like it does.

More
6 years 9 months ago #8825 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic Two Different Sets of Wheel Tracks?
The track in the lower left, just above the green line, clearly show the square/retangular pattern along with the herringbone pattern. It obviously is a Curiosity wheel track. But the one in the upper right hand corner seems to be a continuous square/rectangular pattern rather than in groups of 3 like is on the wheel.

I have no belief that there's another rover roaming around on Mars, but the tracks do indeed look strange. And these tracks seem to be fresh and not degraded by blowing sand or whatever.

More
6 years 9 months ago #8826 by Todd

I have no belief that there's another rover roaming around on Mars..

You've made Opportunity sad. :( :P

More
6 years 9 months ago #8827 by Todd
The direction of the track and wheel damage may also be factors in why they appear different. On the sol traverse map, in that area, the rover goes all over the place making sloppy figure-eights. They are also on the dune edge, so the surface material likely varies in depth.

an.rsl.wustl.edu/msl/mslbrowser/mapTraverseArc3.aspx

More
6 years 9 months ago #8839 by dude
Replied by dude on topic One More Time About Wheel Tracks
First let me express how much I appreciate all the replies & theories by the members. I have considered all thoughts, but still I am not convinced that another vehicle did not pull up to our rover. I still do not believe the rover's wheels can create the repetitive pattern my eyes are seeing. :S
let's say if you have a track & the second wheel follows along the same path, then, the first track would be obliterated & the second track would have the row of three timing squares showing only. I do not believe that with wind erosion the "W" tracks can morph into squares. I am just calling it as I see it as if we were in court.
thanks for bearing with me on this subject. B)

the first image shows what we expect to see;
the second image shows the repeating pattern
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Badsneaker

• dude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • retired mechanical designer.
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: