file Gordii Dorsum Again Again

7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #6888 by Haymaker
Gordii Dorsum Again Again was created by Haymaker
Another post on Gordii Dorsum. The following images are taken from the 1.4 Gb JP2 file hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/ESP_017348_1910.

Gordie Dorsum is a vast polygonal wall system. What is visible extends for many kilometers. But it is likely there is much buried beneath the sand. This first image is typical of the wall system to the North of the JP2 image. It looks suspiciously unnatural.

The wall system is at various stages of disintegration and burial under sand. The following images give an idea of the diverse state of the visible wall system. Some sections of wall look smooth others are clearly formed from blocks others are extremely dilapidated and a much rougher "design'. whilst we might expect different degrees of disintegration it strikes me the smooth sections are so different from the block sections that they are formed by different processes. the following seven images are at the same magnification using the HiView view scale 2.00.

Clearly the wall looks very different at different sections. Yet the polygonal system on the larger scale is reasonably uniform as per the last image.

Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Haymaker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Todd

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Haymaker
  • Haymaker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #6889 by Haymaker
Replied by Haymaker on topic Gordii Dorsum Again Again
The block sections on this section of wall are reasonably uniform.

The red and blue sections are a copy and past job and are the same size.
Attachments:

• Haymaker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #6890 by Haymaker
This section of wall has more gaps.

The red and blue overlays are the same size as those used in the previous image.

Attachments:

• Haymaker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #6893 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Gordii Dorsum Again Again
Yes, I think you're on to something here.:blink:

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #7790 by Haymaker
Found this section of wall to the South in the same JP2 file. HiView coordinates x: 11357 y: 51473.

The regular feature is roughly 10m across.
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Haymaker.

• Haymaker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #7791 by Haymaker
Wall section with pentagon enclosure? HiView coordinates x:13280 y:55960

Attachments:

• Haymaker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #7792 by Haymaker
Hiview coordinates: x9476 y29841.

This section of wall is interesting. There is the tantalising squarish feature hidden beneath the sand. What is it?

Also one explanation for the wall system is that there was originally a system of cracks later filled with deposits of some other material maybe lava. The original rock then eroded leaving the wall system in situ. However here we can clearly see one section of wall arriving to meet another but is hidden in the shadow of the taller/higher section. There is no obvious sign of sufficient debris to give evidence the lower wall was once higher and crumbled away. I think it is difficult to explain the different heights with the "crack filled with lava" explanation. Lava or other deposits would presumably fill the cracks to the same height.

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Haymaker.

• Haymaker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: