file Back to Dingo Gap Sol 529

8 years 5 days ago - 8 years 5 days ago #5045 by Haymaker
Back to Dingo Gap Sol 529 was created by Haymaker
Dingo Gap fascinates me more than all the other places Curiosity has explored. I've been experimenting with the Analysts Notebook trying to gain ever so slightly better resolution. I used the 8 bit lossless DRXX file which is not colour adjusted or linearised. To brighten it up I tweaked Curves and Shadow and highlights in Affiinity Photo. In this image is what looks like a section of wall, grey bricks set in lighter mortar. I've turned the image 90 degrees. In the original page this 'wall' is found centre left.

an.rsl.wustl.edu/msl/mslbrowser/product.aspx?B1=0529MR0020920030303325C00_DRXX&xw=1
mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=0529MR0020920030303325E01_DXXX&s=529
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 5 days ago by Haymaker. Reason: Image too large
The following user(s) said Thank You: gessa

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Haymaker
  • Haymaker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 5 days ago #5046 by WillFarrar
Replied by WillFarrar on topic Back to Dingo Gap Sol 529
Isn't it wonderful to go back to these now with the 8 bit settings!

More
8 years 5 days ago - 8 years 4 days ago #5049 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Back to Dingo Gap Sol 529
Dingo Gap is definitely one of the best Curiosity mission highlights so far. I agree with your assessment on the image, and that is quite an image. There are all kinds of unusual objects present. Here is my version, this one processed from the raw DRCL .img file.

It looks like a fossilized skull or a skull carving to the lower left of your bricks, integrated with the rock.

NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS Original raw browse jpg:
mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=0529MR0020920030303325E01_DXXX&s=529

an.rsl.wustl.edu/msl/mslbrowser/product.aspx?B1=0529MR0020920030303325E01_DRCL&xw=1
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 4 days ago by Todd. Reason: replaced image

More
8 years 4 days ago #5056 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Back to Dingo Gap Sol 529
Here's a good Dingo Gap MAHLI cam image taken on Sol 535. I processed this image from the PDS raw DRCL .img file and rotated it 180°.

NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS Original raw browse jpg:
mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=0535MH0003250050201349E02_DXXX&s=535

an.rsl.wustl.edu/msl/mslbrowser/product.aspx?B1=0535MH0003250050201349E02_DRCL&xw=1
Attachments:

More
8 years 4 days ago #5057 by Haymaker
Replied by Haymaker on topic Back to Dingo Gap Sol 529
I've got a macbook pro and I tried but got nowhere opening the .img files. Do you have any tips other than buy a different laptop? :dry:

Very nice pict btw.

• Haymaker
  • Haymaker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 4 days ago #5058 by Todd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Haymaker

More
8 years 4 days ago #5059 by WillFarrar
Replied by WillFarrar on topic Back to Dingo Gap Sol 529
I also run Apples. I has been tricky to open them over here when it really should not be! The MultiSpec is a great tool! Make sure you download both the .img file and the .lbl file for that specific file/coding.. Also when you are loading the picture through the open button Todd showed me how to set the color numbers. (try playing around with them. I think they are set automatically when it installs as I have it in RED on the side.. 3,2,1.. Change it to 1,2,3 and see how the image turns out. Also the part that says Min/Max where I put the arrow, try to play with that as well to get the best color and image... This was the best software other then putting Parallels and running Windows and img2png (which I do as well). They both produce great results, Multispec you get more to tinker with though.. Let us know if you have any questions!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Haymaker

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: