question-circle Step Construction Architecture in Hellas Planitia?

8 years 4 months ago #3431 by Todd
A large region of Hellas has terrain which mirrors the deconstruction of a quarry, where large slabs are removed leaving a step-like construction behind ( video example below ). The remaining material appears as if it has been fashioned, similar to what you see at Petra . Below are images from HiRISE image PSP_008282_1380 acquired in May 2008 of the strange Hellas terrain.

Enlargements below.

NASA/JPL/University of Arizona Original

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 4 months ago #3432 by ??
This definitely looks steppy to me.

If this is natural, then it looks to me like some kind of mineral that has a square lattice molecular structure would have formed beneath the surface and, perhaps due to tectonic(?) pressure, rose vertically and began to crumble in response to above ground erosive forces. However, my knowledge of geology and chemistry in this regard is very limited.

If it is manufactured, then it appears to me to be some kind of foundation. Perhaps these were square columns of a uniform height and when Mars was devastated they were blown off in a non-uniform pattern.

Then again, if manufactured, perhaps they are supposed to mesh with a similar doppelganger pattern that sat on top of them.

Well, there’s my first impression two cents worth. Other than that, I just don’t know. Thanks for posting these images.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: