file Object Resembling Pickup Truck in Sol 1197 Mastcam Image

6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #10712 by Todd
It's these noisy rover images that made me want to get better results and you can sense my frustration in the initial post from my comment. It looks more to me like something in a dome-shaped state of collapse, similar to what we see in and around the Murray Buttes. It looks like quite an impressive feature and the base below the collapse looks straight and level. I think the sol 1201 image is the last we see of that particular feature.

While I consider it a good example to refer back to for learning purposes..

I've learned that trying to use a generalized comparison can fall flat and should be used sparingly, if at all. :dry:
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Todd. Reason: correction

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 5 months ago #10714 by Todd

I hope closing the thread does not mean deleting it.

I'm thinking of going back in time to stop myself from posting it. :P

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 5 months ago #10715 by Marty
I see no wrong in the initial post.
I asked someone who has no interest in Mars whatsoever what they thought the object was.
The answer -- a truck.
OK -- so it is a pile of rocks. We all no doubt were in full suspect of that.
Clarity is a wonderful thing is it not?

More
6 years 5 months ago #10716 by ??
Any hoaxer will have a hard time convincing anybody there is a truck on Mars. The danger lies in a hoaxer air-brushing it up and attributing it to this forum. After giving it some thought, I think that would backfire on them too because it would put the WUITS name in people's minds. So I now think it would be better to leave it.

Besides, I am curious how much a hoaxer could make the image look like this:

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 5 months ago #10720 by Todd
Will has talked about these sort of comparisons frequently, and the pitfall that comes with them. It's hard to write about this topic without trying to ground the visuals in a comparison and sometimes I believe they are appropriate. However, don't let labels box you in. I recommend, if you are interested in this subject and the interest grows, study a little basic archaeology and how to recognize artifacts, if you're unfamiliar with it. That will open a whole new window on these images and you'll see formations and potentially artifacts that you may have missed before. Now I try not to necessarily describe what it looks like, but why it looks that way. Now I often think, " is what I'm looking at more or less exotic than say, an arrowhead." Dr. Makoto Kowta's article "Recognizing Artifacts" is a good starting point.

www.fire.ca.gov/resource_mgt/archaeology/downloads/recognizing_artifacts.pdf

I do think that anything technical on Mars would now look like the bottom left corner of the sol 1106 composite (below), with multiple eroded parts laying in a pattern.

NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS originals
Attachments:

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 5 months ago #10724 by Marty
If the thread is removed, the lesson is lost.
If someone arrives to the forum as I did and scrolled through as I did they would first hand select what was of interest to them.
For me it was the suggestion that there was somewhat of an image of a truck in the ruins of Mars. And it did resemble said to me as well because I owned a 1951 Mercury 3/4 ton.
And -- the thread rattled on to where we are now with the knowledge(s) shared and advise(s) given and shared.
I think it is a win.
But I will respect the call made by Admns. if the thread is removed.
Cheers.

More
6 years 5 months ago #10726 by ??
It's cool by me. No harm. No foul. This has become a somewhat educational thread, perhaps entertaining too.

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: