check Ina from Apollo & LROC

7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #6634 by Todd
Ina from Apollo & LROC was created by Todd
For those unfamiliar with the Lunar surface feature Ina, it is essentially a basin, technically known as a crater , located in Lacus Felicitatis, an area of the Moon geologically populated with ancient lava flows. Within the depression lie several rounded basalt hills. The Apollo 17 70mm hasselblad frames, AS17-152-23286 and AS17-152-23287 , both show the feature exhibiting a blue hue. The image below was cropped from a processed version of the raw NASA/JSC/ASU scan.

NASA/JSC/Arizona State University original

The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter narrow angle LROC frame M116282876R shows most of Ina close up. The areas that surround the smooth basalt hills are what I find the most interesting. There are sections that resemble square blocks or foundations with raised features on some of them that look like complexes and constructions. Some objects resemble pillars with arrangements that remind me of Stonehenge. There are wall like features also present, open and closed. The images below are various sections of M116282876R which were processed from the PDS raw EDR .img file.

NASA/GSFC/Arizona State University original
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Todd. Reason: Changed "CDR" to the corrected "EDR"
The following user(s) said Thank You: WillFarrar

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 6 months ago #6635 by WillFarrar
Replied by WillFarrar on topic Ina from Apollo & LROC
This blew me away Todd! WOW!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Todd

More
7 years 6 months ago #6639 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Ina from Apollo & LROC
Yes, it's quite something. As far as volcanic features on the moon go, Ina is one of the more recent events . It looks to me like a small city that was inundated with a lava flow. Certainly more to come on this one as there is a lot of stuff out there on this feature.

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 6 months ago #6642 by ??
Replied by ?? on topic Ina from Apollo & LROC
This blew me away too, Todd. I saved these to my 'Todd' folder. Thanks! ;)

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 6 months ago #6656 by Todd
Here is Ina from the Apollo 15 panoramic frames AS15-P-0176 and AS15-P-0181. The direction of spacecraft motion makes a left (AS15-P-0181) and right (AS15-P-0176) image available for a 3D anaglyph (bottom). The images below were processed from the NASA/JSC/Arizona State University raw tif scan, both tile #4.

Attachments:

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 6 months ago #6672 by Todd
Here is a composite of Ina made from LROC M119808916L (left) and M119808916R (right).There is spectacular detail on this one as well. I think this is as good as it gets outside of the Apollo panoramics . The images below were processed from the PDS raw EDR .img file.

NASA/GSFC/Arizona State University originals:
wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc/view_lroc/LRO-L-LROC-2-EDR-V1.0/M119808916LE
wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc/view_lroc/LRO-L-LROC-2-EDR-V1.0/M119808916RE
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WillFarrar

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 6 months ago #6677 by WillFarrar
Replied by WillFarrar on topic Ina from Apollo & LROC
The blue of this is amazing. I want to put all your stuff together and make A video here soon..

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: