Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ??
  • ??'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago #9148 by ??
Grand Finale Orbit #11

Orbit 281 - June 26 - July 3

During this orbit, Cassini’s Ultraviolet Imaging Spectrograph (UVIS) observes the edge of Saturn’s atmosphere, studying airglow, auroras and hydrocarbons — scientists need more information about Saturn’s hydrocarbon distribution to improve models of how sunlight affects the chemistry of the planet’s upper atmosphere.

The spacecraft’s Composite Infrared Spectrometer (CIRS) maps the temperature and composition of Saturn’s north polar vortex at the highest resolution of the mission so far.

Cassini’s Visible and Infrared Mapping Spectrometer (VIMS) captures a movie of Saturn’s south polar region. It is the closest and sharpest near-infrared movie to date of the intricate structure and complex movements of features in and around the south polar vortex.

During this orbit’s ring-plane crossing, the spacecraft is oriented such that its high-gain antenna (the big dish) faces forward (called HGA to RAM) to help shield the spacecraft from ring particles.

After ring-plane crossing, Cassini completes an engineering checkout of the spacecraft’s sun sensor assembly to be sure it wasn’t damaged when the high-gain antenna shielded the spacecraft during ring-plane crossing.

During this orbit, Cassini gets within 2,320 miles (3,720 kilometers) of Saturn’s 1-bar level. Cassini also passes within 2,480 miles (3,980 kilometers) of the inner edge of Saturn’s D ring.

Attachments:

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago #9170 by ??

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago #9208 by ??

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago #9257 by ??

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #9274 by ??
Grand Finale Orbit #12

Orbit 282 - July 3 - July 9

During this orbit, Cassini’s Ultraviolet Imaging Spectrograph (UVIS) stares at the star Kappa Canis Majoris, as parts of the C ring and A ring pass between the spacecraft and the star. The spacecraft’s Composite Infrared Spectrometer (CIRS) observes the occultation as well.

Cassini’s imaging cameras, the Imaging Science Subsystem (ISS), observes some of Saturn’s known ring propeller features, then targets the border region of the F ring and A ring to study ring dynamics there.

Cassini’s UVIS instrument also studies small-scale structures in the rings.

During this orbit’s ring-plane crossing, the spacecraft is oriented such that its high-gain antenna (the big dish) faces forward (called “HGA to RAM”) to help shield the spacecraft from ring particles.

Also during ring-plane crossing, in the brief period in which impacts are most likely, the Radio and Plasma Wave Science (RPWS) instrument "listens" for the impacts of ring particles, which produce detectable plasma clouds when they strike the spacecraft. The antenna protrudes several meters beyond the protection of the high-gain antenna and so still detects impacts.

During this orbit, Cassini gets within 2,320 miles (3,730 kilometers) of Saturn’s 1-bar level. Cassini also passes within 2,470 miles (3,980 kilometers) of the inner edge of Saturn’s D ring.

Bar (unit) (Wikipedia)

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by ??. Reason: Corrected text. Re-attached image. Reset font.

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: