check NASA Saturn Mission Prepares for 'Ring-Grazing Orbits'

6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #8534 by ??

Below is a list of milestones expected to occur during the event, if all goes as planned:

-- 5 p.m. PDT (8 p.m. EDT) on April 25: Cassini is approaching Saturn over the planet’s northern hemisphere in advance of its first of 22 planned dives through the gap between the planet and its rings.

-- 1:34 a.m. PDT (4:34 a.m. EDT) on April 26: As it passes from north to south over Saturn, Cassini begins a 14-minute turn to point its high-gain antenna into the direction of oncoming ring particles. In this orientation, the antenna acts as a protective shield for Cassini’s instruments and engineering systems.

-- 2 a.m. PDT (5 a.m. EDT) on April 26: Cassini crosses the ring plane during its dive between the rings and Saturn. The spacecraft’s science instruments are collecting data, but Cassini is not in contact with Earth at this time.

-- No earlier than around midnight PDT on April 26 (3 a.m. EDT on April 27): Earth has its first opportunity to regain contact with Cassini as the giant, 230-foot (70-meter) Deep Space Network antenna at Goldstone, California, listens for the spacecraft’s radio signal.

-- Likely no earlier than 12:30 a.m. PDT (3:30 a.m. EDT) on April 27: Images are scheduled to become available from the spacecraft.

Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by ??. Reason: Corrected typo. Reset font.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ??
  • ??'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #8541 by ??
Cassini's Signal Detected After Dive Through Saturn's Rings

NASA Spacecraft Dives Between Saturn and Its Rings

NASA Spacecraft Dives Between Saturn and Its Rings

Cassini spacecraft dives between Saturn and its rings, back in contact with Earth

Grand Finale Dive #2

During this orbit, Cassini gets within 1,820 miles (2,930 kilometers) of Saturn’s 1-bar level. Cassini also passes within 2,980 miles (4,780 kilometers) of the inner edge of Saturn’s D ring.

Cassini’s imaging cameras, the Imaging Science Subsystem (ISS), takes advantage of the last opportunity to observe Saturn's rings at extremely high phase angles while the Sun is hidden behind Saturn, allowing the instrument to survey faint ringlets in the main rings, many of which are difficult to observe outside of this geometry. The ISS also collects images to produce a movie to monitor various structures in Saturn’s D ring.

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by ??. Reason: Rebuilt post.

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 11 months ago #8553 by ??

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 11 months ago #8596 by ??

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 11 months ago #8597 by ??

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 11 months ago #8598 by ??
Grand Finale Dive #3

During Cassini’s third Grand Finale orbit, the spacecraft’s radio instrument, called the Radio Science Subsystem (RSS), performs gravity field measurements using the Doppler shift to study the interior of Saturn. The radio science instrument also studies Saturn’s rings as the spacecraft’s radio signal passes through the rings en route to Earth.

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: