check NASA Saturn Mission Prepares for 'Ring-Grazing Orbits'

6 years 8 months ago #9603 by ??
Orbit 288 - August 10 - August 17

Cassini has just five orbits of Saturn remaining before the mission ends.

During this orbit, Cassini’s Composite Infrared Spectrometer (CIRS) observes the edge of Saturn’s atmosphere to determine different temperatures at different altitudes.

The spacecraft’s imaging cameras, the Imaging Science Subsystem (ISS), then observe mysterious features informally called “streaks” in Saturn’s C ring.

This is the first of five orbits in which Cassini’s elliptical orbit carries it so low that the spacecraft passes briefly through Saturn’s outermost atmosphere. Cassini’s reaction control thrusters are at the ready to correct the spacecraft’s orientation in case Saturn’s atmosphere pushes on the spacecraft hard enough to cause any rotation.

During the period in which the spacecraft is nearest Saturn, Cassini’s Ion and Neutral Mass Spectrometer (INMS) performs the first ever direct sampling of Saturn’s atmosphere. The instrument measures densities of different species of molecular hydrogen, helium and a variety of ions in the immediate vicinity of the spacecraft.

Cassini’s RADAR instrument operates at the same time as INMS, studying Saturn’s atmosphere in a passive mode to study the small-scale structure and ammonia concentration of Saturn’s atmosphere.

During this orbit, Cassini gets within 1,060 miles (1,710 kilometers) of Saturn’s 1-bar level. Cassini also passes within 3,720 miles (5,990 kilometers) of the inner edge of Saturn’s D ring.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ??
  • ??'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #9630 by ??
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by ??. Reason: Corrected margins. Reset font.

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago #9635 by ??

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago #9668 by ??
Orbit 290 - August 23 - August 30

Cassini has just three orbits of Saturn remaining before the mission ends.

During this orbit Cassini’s Composite Infrared Spectrometer (CIRS) maps Saturn’s northern hemisphere to study temperatures in the upper troposphere and the Visible and Infrared Mapping Spectrometer (VIMS) creates a map of Saturn’s equatorial region. The CIRS instrument also performs its final Saturn limb observation of the mission.

The spacecraft uses its RADAR instrument in active mode to study Saturn’s atmosphere.

This is the third of five orbits in which Cassini’s elliptical orbit carries it so low that the spacecraft passes briefly through Saturn’s atmosphere. Cassini’s reaction control thrusters are at the ready to correct the spacecraft’s orientation in case Saturn’s atmosphere pushes on the spacecraft hard enough to cause any rotation. This is the deepest Cassini dips into Saturn’s atmosphere during the “Final Five” orbits.

During the period in which the spacecraft is nearest Saturn, Cassini’s Ion and Neutral Mass Spectrometer (INMS) performs its second session directly sampling Saturn’s upper atmosphere. The instrument measures densities of different species of molecular hydrogen, helium and a variety of ions in the immediate vicinity of the spacecraft.

During this orbit, Cassini gets within 1,010 miles (1,630 kilometers) of Saturn’s 1-bar level. Cassini also passes within 3,770 miles (6,070 kilometers) of the inner edge of Saturn’s D ring.

Attachments:

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago #9684 by ??

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago #9696 by ??

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 7 months ago #9701 by ??
Attachments:

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: