check NASA Saturn Mission Prepares for 'Ring-Grazing Orbits'

6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #9480 by ??
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by ??. Reason: Corrected font. Re-attached image.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ??
  • ??'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago #9503 by ??

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago #9504 by ??
Grand Finale Orbit #17

Orbit 286 - July 29 - August 4

During this orbit, Cassini’s Ultraviolet Imaging Spectrograph (UVIS) makes a long observation of Saturn’s northern aurora at an unusually close range, producing some of the highest-resolution auroral images of the entire mission.

Cassini’s Visible and Infrared Mapping Spectrometer (VIMS) observes Saturn’s aurora during this orbit as well. This observation is the closest and highest-resolution auroral observation VIMS makes during Cassini’s entire mission.

The spacecraft’s Composite Infrared Spectrometer (CIRS) observes the south polar region of Saturn’s moon Enceladus during this orbit, studying winter temperatures on the moon’s surface. This is the instrument’s last opportunity of the mission to study the temperatures on Enceladus, to help researchers understand how they change over time.

During this orbit, Cassini gets within 1,820 miles (2,920 kilometers) of Saturn’s 1-bar level. Cassini also passes within 2,980 miles (4,790 kilometers) of the inner edge of Saturn’s D ring.

Attachments:

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago #9574 by ??

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago #9575 by ??
Grand Finale Orbit #18

Orbit 287 - August 4 - August 10

During this orbit Cassini’s Ultraviolet Imaging Spectrograph (UVIS) observes Saturn’s northern aurora, attempting to capture the entire auroral oval over several observations.

The spacecraft’s imaging cameras, the Imaging Science Subsystem (ISS), performs the first of two final observations of one of Saturn’s tiny, irregular moons, named Kiviuq, which completes about 80 percent of one rotation during Cassini’s observation. The observation is intended to improve models of the moon’s shape and other of Kiviuq’s characteristics.

The ISS instrument also targets one of Saturn’s ring propeller features, and also continues its campaign of observing Saturn’s moon Titan for two segments of time, each lasting several hours, to image the moon’s atmosphere and surface, in particular to watch Titan’s clouds form and change. The spacecraft’s Composite Infrared Spectrometer (CIRS) and Visible and Infrared Mapping Spectrometer (VIMS) observe Titan as well.

Also during this orbit, the spacecraft rolls to calibrate Cassini’s magnetometer (MAG).

During this orbit, Cassini gets within 1,830 miles (2,940 kilometers) of Saturn’s 1-bar level. Cassini also passes within 2,960 miles (4,760 kilometers) of the inner edge of Saturn’s D ring.

Attachments:

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago #9590 by ??

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago #9602 by ??

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: