file SOL 717 Strange Shapes

6 years 2 months ago #11692 by dude
SOL 717 Strange Shapes was created by dude
mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/00717/mcam/0717MR0030420000402695E01_DXXX.jpg

just a couple of interesting objects to consider as anomalies. B)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ShannonG1012

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• dude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • retired mechanical designer.
More
6 years 2 months ago #11694 by Marty
Replied by Marty on topic SOL 717 Strange Shapes
Dude, Todd did a terrific Gigapan and this (foot) of yours is in it.

Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan -- page 15 Todd's post 9136
Far left of that Gigapan you will find your (foot) -- and more.

That whole ensemble has a lot of interest grabbing items from left to right.
The smooth shaped rock would be a keeper.
Attachments:

More
6 years 2 months ago #11698 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic SOL 717 Strange Shapes
Dude ... the object in the lower yellow box looks like a submarine with an outsized conning tower. :)

More
6 years 2 months ago #11701 by Marty
Here's the link to Todd's post -- www.gigapan.com/gigapans/199970

LOL -- not a very large sub. But then the operators may be the size if ants. Hundreds of them. :)

It looks like water erosion on it and the rock -- BUT -- nothing else matches the description of much erosion around them.
Which is odd.
But it is Mars -- and "odd" is the order of the day.

More
6 years 2 months ago #11702 by RocketDawg

Here's the link to Todd's post -- www.gigapan.com/gigapans/199970

LOL -- not a very large sub. But then the operators may be the size if ants. Hundreds of them. :)

It looks like water erosion on it and the rock -- BUT -- nothing else matches the description of much erosion around them.
Which is odd.
But it is Mars -- and "odd" is the order of the day.

Yeah, it would indeed be a very tiny sub. But we don't know how big the Martians were. :)

Regarding erosion patterns ... you're right. Could be the "sub" was transported in some way, or given the preponderance of layered rocks on Mars, could be just different erosion speeds for the different layers. The rock could have just rolled off of a nearby hillside. Of course, we've only seen a very tiny portion of the Mars surface up close (the rovers aren't exactly speed demons), so there's not much telling what the rest of the surface looks like. We've seen different views in different places from other missions though and so far they're pretty consistent.

More
6 years 2 months ago #11703 by Marty
No doubt you are correct on erosion speeds. Sand blows in from one way. Blows away another way.
Who knows how many times.

As for what always looks like debris fields , Martians whether they were large or small, may very well have destroyed their own planet on purpose.
Ever thought of that?

More
6 years 2 months ago #11704 by RocketDawg

No doubt you are correct on erosion speeds. Sand blows in from one way. Blows away another way.
Who knows how many times.

As for what always looks like debris fields , Martians whether they were large or small, may very well have destroyed their own planet on purpose.
Ever thought of that?

I suppose anything's possible, but I don't think that's a very likely scenario. I don't think total destruction of a planetary civilization would result in a debri fields all over the planet ... it wouldn't have to.

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: