lightbulb Bent Pipe or Tubing found on Mars

6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #11364 by RaptorZN2000
Bent Pipe or Tubing found on Mars was created by RaptorZN2000
This photograph (F05_037568_2176_XN_37N301W) was taken by NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) Context Camera (CTX) on 2014-08-01T20:25:36.956.

NASA describes this photograph as "Ride-along with HiRISE."

I found what looks like two pieces of bent pipe or tubing on the Martian surface.

Upon closer analysis they look similar to vehicle exhaust pipes, I'm not saying that's what these are, but they sure look alike.

They also don't look anything like the mostly straight sedimentary lines "ribs" in the area and seem out of place.

Original NASA source: viewer.mars.asu.edu/planetview/inst/ctx/F05_037568_2176_XN_37N301W

Please let me know what you think these may be, could they be pipes or tubing or sediment that settled at the bottom of the hills?

My Blog entry: mars.raptorzone.co.za/2018/03/03/bent-pipe-or-tubing-found-on-mars/

Also included is UPDATE II: Huge cave entrance found on Mars.

My YouTube Video for these anomalies:

My Mars Anomalies YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI9L6oxXszc-iCy3ApVeiA
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by RaptorZN2000. Reason: Changed Blog URL

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RaptorZN2000
  • RaptorZN2000's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #11365 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Bent Pipe or Tubing found on Mars
The CTX images are good for mapping and basic geological context but at a scale of 6 meters per pixel, I find the specific details to be too small to be very reliable. They are similar in scale to the visual THEMIS images . In comparison, the HiRISE camera can distinguish one meter. I'm pretty sure what you're looking at is the sunlit edge of a ridge created by landslide material. I doubt it looks like a pipe or a tube closer to the ground level.

mars.nasa.gov/mro/mission/instruments/ctx/
mars.nasa.gov/mro/mission/instruments/hirise/
The following user(s) said Thank You: RaptorZN2000

• Todd
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago #11366 by Glitch_Neo
Replied by Glitch_Neo on topic Bent Pipe or Tubing found on Mars
Just downloaded the image in question - its a tad rough - even with cleaning up

Like Todd said the Themis is of similar resolution - There's just no clear details sadly..

Odyssey 2D + 3D Gigapan

Be nice to see the area from Hirise.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: RaptorZN2000

More
6 years 2 months ago #11368 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Bent Pipe or Tubing found on Mars
I think I read once that they take a HiRISE image with the CTX simultaneously, but I don't see that they cross-reference the images, so maybe not. Glitch, did you get the full size pyramidized TIF? They have an EDR available, but I've never tried to convert one.

• Todd
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #11370 by RaptorZN2000
Replied by RaptorZN2000 on topic Bent Pipe or Tubing found on Mars
Hi Todd, thank you for the explanation. In future I'll try to include hi-res version's. Sadly after downloading these massive files they don't always open in HiView. If you check the one "pipe" you can see it's above the ground and casts a shadow, that's what made me think this is not sediment. Thanks again, Jean.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by RaptorZN2000. Reason: Amended the text

• RaptorZN2000
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #11371 by RaptorZN2000
Hi Todd, I downloaded the Pyramidized TIFF and the level of graphic detail is exactly the same as in the CTX image. I'm downloading the .IMG file now. Will let you know. I doubt it will be better as the .IMG file is smaller than the .TIFF.

• RaptorZN2000
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 2 months ago #11372 by RaptorZN2000
Hi there, thanks for the information. I downloaded the .TFF and the details are exactly the same as in the CTX. Unfortunately there is no HiRise image available for these two anomalies. If you check them you'll notice they don't look like the sedimentary "ribs" in the area, i.e. their diameter remains the same and they don't have sharp points towards the ends. Also it looks like they are curved and are raised above the surface and they cast shadows. The are also not next to other "ribs" like those found a bit further, i.e. rows of parallel ribs. I'm downloading the .IMG file now. Perhaps it will have a higher resolution, but I doubt it.

• RaptorZN2000
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: