file NASA / JPL does not answer my questions. For what reason?

6 years 4 months ago #10974 by Joe Hartung
Good afternoon from Germany,

in more and more SOLS there are pretty color images made by the left or right MastCam. BUT: Only the thumbnails get published in color. The "Full Resolution" rsp. the raw image is published in black and white and has in addition a grid in it that is definitely not in the thumbnail. One example following from recent SOL 1905:

Thumbnail:
mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=1905MR0099970050900130I01_DXXX&s=1905

Raw Image "Subframe Product":

mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=1905MR0099970050900130C00_DXXX&s=1905

The grid makes it more difficult to view the details in the image.

Inbetween I´ve asked NASA / Jpl several times: What´s the reason for this?
None of my questions has been answered until just now.

Does anyone of you guys have an idea for the real reason?

Kind regards....

Joe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glitch_Neo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #10976 by Glitch_Neo
I'm not to sure as to the reason, only NASA JPL Caltech people could truly answer that - they wont entertain talking to most people without a 1st class degree and a few letters after your name - I bey you have found them to be quite arrogant in their lack of responses...

Sometimes the Grey scale can be used to our advantage and enhance the smaller colour images we get.

Here's an example of what I mean.

Colour Image - Opaque Grey scale Image - Opaque Colour Image in a "sandwich" actually improves the zoomed in detail - (See pic)

the original image(s) were blown up to 27,000 pixels By 10,000 pixels without loosing too much detail thanks to the grey scale image inserted between the colour versions.

That aside, Joe - We know they are keeping the really good stuff for themselves!
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Glitch_Neo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joe Hartung

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #10977 by Glitch_Neo
Detail from 5,000 pixels multiplied to 27,000 (width) shows great detail compared to the original colour image alone...

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/204526
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Glitch_Neo.

More
6 years 4 months ago #10978 by RocketDawg
Just to be clear, you're asking JPL/NASA why do they only publish the thumbnail pictures in full color, and the high-res full size pictures are onlly in black and white?

You also said you'd not heard from them until just now: What reason did they give?

You also asked in your post what the "real" reason is, implying that you don't believe the answer they gave you. First, it could very well be the reason they gave ... no reason for it not to be accurate. Personally, I would guess that it's because color takes more time to resolve, takes up more space (which is not expensive these days), and I suppose takes some employee operations to pull off. And believe me, nobody at JPL comes cheap ... could very well be a budgetary thing.

Another reason ... who are you writing to at JPL? Perhaps there's a contact given in the pictures ... I don't know ... but possibly the best place to write would be Public Affairs at JPL. They could forward it to the appropriate office/person. Of course ... they're very busy. So answering questions could take a lot of time.

I know when I worked at NASA it we seldom got questions from the general public forwarded to us. I don't know if there weren't many asked, or they just got lost in the abundance of things they do.

Hope this helps in some way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joe Hartung

More
6 years 4 months ago #10980 by Glitch_Neo
Ok to elaborate on what I said earlier in the post,

Grayscale Image is not that bad a trip really - and can actually help to enhance images!

Stage 1 we have a gray scale image from Sol 1866 and the lower res mosaic which we will use as the bread in our sandwich ...

( Best doing direct overlays - This one was more was tricky as I had to Skew - deform the gray image to make them fit as the angles were slightly off)

File Attachment:

Step 2

I used smart sharpen to clean up slightly

File Attachment:

Step 3

Bring the 3 layers together (See layers on right with levels etc)

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Personally I think there is now less noise and artifact'ing...

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Hope it makes sense guys and gals...
The following user(s) said Thank You: RocketDawg

More
6 years 4 months ago #10981 by Glitch_Neo
heres the full res images from above

File Attachment:

More
6 years 4 months ago #10985 by RocketDawg
Nice work, Glitch!

You and Todd should get a job at NASA and get paid for all this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glitch_Neo

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: