check HiRISE Images on GigaPan

6 years 5 months ago #10453 by Todd
HiRISE Images on GigaPan was created by Todd
I'm going to start a thread here for Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter HiRISE composites. This is image ESP_017028_1445, acquired on 03/15/10 and taken of "channels near Argyre." The composite was processed from the PDS raw RED .img files.

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/203978

hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/ESP_017028_1445
The following user(s) said Thank You: WillFarrar, RocketDawg, Glitch_Neo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 5 months ago #10454 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic HiRISE Images on GigaPan
Thanks! There are some interesting features on this first one.

More
6 years 3 months ago #11202 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic HiRISE Images on GigaPan
This is HiRISE image PSP_008427_1380, showing part of the Hellas Basin in fall. This image was processed from the PDS RDR version. Note the frequent quarry-like step formations scattered about.

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/205279

www.uahirise.org/PSP_008427_1380

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #11203 by Smittysmit
Replied by Smittysmit on topic HiRISE Images on GigaPan
Quite interesting. There are several of these that appear to have an arched opening on the right hand side. They give the impression of a cave entrance. While the light is coming from above and to the left, I don't think it is full shadow because I still see light on some of the right side. They look quite similar to the ancient caves that were found in Nepal. They estimate that there is about 10,000 of these caves that were found in central Nepal.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2403094/Mystery-ancient-caves-Nepal.html

More
6 years 3 months ago #11207 by Todd

Quite interesting. There are several of these that appear to have an arched opening on the right hand side. They give the impression of a cave entrance. While the light is coming from above and to the left, I don't think it is full shadow because I still see light on some of the right side. They look quite similar to the ancient caves that were found in Nepal. They estimate that there is about 10,000 of these caves that were found in central Nepal.

That's a good comparison, they do look very similar. When viewing this one, Petra also comes to mind. Here are some enhanced enlargements from PSP_008427_1380.

NASA/JPL/University of Arizona originals
Attachments:

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #11208 by Marty
Replied by Marty on topic HiRISE Images on GigaPan

Todd -- what height were these taken from?

The Pareidolia on the two side by side heads I can accept as naturally formed not tooled.
But the scroll carving in the stone underneath them -- well uh that may be hard to write off even in my tired old mind.

(I really need a better magnifying glass)

More
6 years 3 months ago #11209 by Todd

Todd -- what height were these taken from?

258.9 km. The distance varies, between around 255 to 320 km. The image scale on that one is 50 cm per pixel. An average sized single "step" formation is around 80 px vertical, 80 x 50 = 4,000 cm or 40 meters high.

www.uahirise.org/PSP_008427_1380
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marty

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: