check Opportunity Rover: Burns Cliff Sample, “Wopmay”

6 years 6 months ago #10032 by Todd
In the early sols of the Opportunity Rover mission, as the rover was on the "Burns Cliff" around sol 244, it spotted this feature which was dubbed “Wopmay.” It's a weird sample with cracks forming something of a patchwork design on it. Personally, I've never seen anything quite like it. Some of the patterns appear almost symmetrical, with the exception of a couple of "errors.":P Also, there are "Blueberries" everywhere. A quarter panoramic image of the entire sample was taken on sol 277, as the rover moved away. All images below were processed from the PDS raw .img files and stacked for RGB color.

NASA/JPL/Cornell originals

Below images from sol 251, 252 & 256.

www.midnightplanets.com/web/MERB/term/wopmay.html
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #10033 by RocketDawg
Looks like a brain. :)

And yes, that's one of the stranger formations we've seen. And Mars is having a bumper blueberry crop this year ... season ... zillion years.

If you click on the 2nd picture down, the one that looks like a brain, it'll blow up a bit larger. Looks like there are many tiny blueberries all over it.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by RocketDawg.

• RocketDawg
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 6 months ago #10034 by Todd

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago #10037 by Glitch_Neo
Brilliant Clip!! :lol:

Todd, These images are bought to life with colour! I'm trying to colouriz some 3 - 5 tile mosaics at the mo, but in RGB I can split into channels, but obviously when bought back together its just grey again...

CMYK tutorials online are crap at explaining the process in a way which I can actually work out..... One day... I might finally suss it out (I feel really stupid lol)

Top work dude.

More
6 years 6 months ago #10041 by Todd
Here is a cropped and rotated version of the sol 252 composite. This is what I mean when I say symmetrical, not sure how the the left and right look so close with the deep groove separations present.

Attachments:

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago #10048 by Todd

I'm trying to colouriz some 3 - 5 tile mosaics at the mo, but in RGB I can split into channels, but obviously when bought back together its just grey again...

Which photo editor are you using, photoshop?

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #10049 by Glitch_Neo
Yep, I sure am - CS6 :D

I managed after 2 hours to produce the image attached - But it was about 50 layers deep with a million random filters exposures and colours... I lost the will to live after that yesterday and walked away - Much to my wife's disgust... she had to spend time with me :D
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Glitch_Neo.

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: