check Curiosity Rover Sol 356: Anomalies in the Conglomerate

6 years 9 months ago #9281 by Todd
This is a composite made from two right Mastcam images taken in "Darwin" on sol 356. It shows what is likely a conglomerate sediment created from ancient water flow. These sedimentary materials need a chemical cement and a powerful water pressure to move larger materials into a solid conglomerate form that resembles concrete. The sedimentary cement between the larger materials appears a little more refined than what I'm used to seeing in conglomerates, but that is, of course subjective.

NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS originals:
mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=0356MR0014510000301277E01_DXXX&s=356
mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=0356MR0014510010301278E01_DXXX&s=356

However, some of the combined materials don't look so random, like the crop below, taken from the far right side of the image. It shows what appears to be a multi-pronged object integrated with a block of material. Integrated ancient technology or natural processes?

This outcrop could be a perfect breeding ground for the mineral replacement fossil, there are a lot of strange shapes inside the sample, objects that resemble little skulls and things, also subjective, but the thing in the crop below is strange, no matter how you look at it. I'm not sure what this material is, sitting just behind the formation, but it is nothing like I've seen before and it appears to be sitting upright. Some of the object could be obfuscated from the formation itself, but what we can see is really bizarre.

Below is an enhanced enlargement of the full composite.

What do you think? :huh:
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 9 months ago #9282 by ??
I agree. Good work!

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago #9283 by Todd
Thanks CitizenQuasar. :) There are some similar formations in the background of the large composite in the sol 377 GigaPan I uploaded.

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/200404
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glitch_Neo

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: