compress Two Different Sets of Wheel Tracks?

6 years 10 months ago #8809 by dude
mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/00812/mhli/0812MH0003250050301004E01_DXXX.jpg
am I seeing two sets of wheel tracks on these images? did NASA try to drive over the other set to confuse the images? am I making something out of nothing? help me decide if I am just misidentifying these.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• dude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • retired mechanical designer.
More
6 years 10 months ago #8810 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic Two Different Sets of Wheel Tracks?
The most logical answer, I suppose, is that they're not rover tracks. They're certainly not from Curiosity unless it somehow changed "tires". I don't know what they are but they do indeed look strange.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dude

• RocketDawg
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 10 months ago #8811 by lenseye
Replied by lenseye on topic Two Different Sets of Wheel Tracks?
The "other" set of track markings are very similar to those left by a track laying vehicle.....Bulldozer,snow mobile.....etc.
I noticed they are oblong & wide just the typeof mark track pads leave..........Just a thought.

More
6 years 10 months ago #8812 by Badsneaker
Replied by Badsneaker on topic Two Different Sets of Wheel Tracks?

Looks to me that someone went to a lot of trouble to cover up something in the image. I wonder why the tracks weren't covered up as well?

I inverted the image, changed it from 8 bits to 16 bits/channel, sharpened it up a bit and adjusted the colors. If you increase the size beyond 100% you can see the "sand" pixelates differently than the rest of the image. Unfortunately for me I don't have the technique down enough to uncover what is being hidden by the sand. Maybe someone else can...
Attachments:

More
6 years 10 months ago #8813 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Two Different Sets of Wheel Tracks?
The additional tracks are made on the way back to Book Cliffs, they drive in a circle leaving two sets of tracks. One set is from sol 785-787 and the other set is from sol 812-817.

www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/term/book_cliffs.html
www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/site/0441546.html
www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/site/0440036.html
mars.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/?ImageID=6794
an.rsl.wustl.edu/msl/mslbrowser/document.aspx?d=1508
The following user(s) said Thank You: Badsneaker

More
6 years 10 months ago #8815 by dude
Replied by dude on topic Two Different Sets of Wheel Tracks?
I am sure that's true Todd but still, at the distance these images were taken, I just do not see the Rover's distinctive "W" tread marks in some sections. some "w" tracks are showing I admit. even if the Rover backed up exactly over the same path I don't see how it could produce the square pattern. maybe this is a combination of pixels & optical illusion.
if any of this observation turned out to be true, then the implications would be mind-blowing.

• dude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • retired mechanical designer.
More
6 years 10 months ago #8816 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Two Different Sets of Wheel Tracks?
I think the rover tracks can take on different patterns depending on how deep the loose surface material goes. Like this track from sol 1649, it looks more like a square waffle pattern than the typical zig-zag.
www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/image/01649/NRB_543884005EDR_F0620108NCAM00399M_.html
Also the rover tracks degrade rather quickly, morphing their shape after a few sols. Any older tracks will likely have a different appearance from fresh tracks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Badsneaker

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: