file SOL 1678, amazing images

6 years 11 months ago #8548 by Joe Hartung
SOL 1678, amazing images was created by Joe Hartung
There are five interesting images on SOL 1678 with amazing structures that in my eyes don´t need further questions anymore.

Links to the images at first:

mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=1678ML0087100040700755E01_DXXX&s=1678

mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=1678ML0087100030700754E01_DXXX&s=1678

mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=1678ML0087100020700753E01_DXXX&s=1678

mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=1678ML0087100010700752E01_DXXX&s=1678

mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=1678ML0087100000700751E01_DXXX&s=1678

Some of those amazing structures / elements are contained in the images Nr. 700752 an 700753. Attached you can the the original version and the marked version with remarks about what I recognize in those structures.

So what do you see?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Todd, Haymaker, Harry

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #8551 by Haymaker
Replied by Haymaker on topic SOL 1678, amazing images
The rectangular "carved" object looks to be something. Good find. Only word of caution - the image is not great and the object is mid distance. I've been burnt a couple of times myself with these kind of images only to find a closer better image later that does not support the initial assessment. But as it stands it looks artificial and not natural.

More
6 years 11 months ago #8552 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic SOL 1678, amazing images
I was looking at those, it looks like the rover is starting to move away from the mudrock, at least for a while. The left mastcam 34 doesn't have the focal length of the right Mastcam 100, I think the left cam images look noisier than the right.

More
6 years 11 months ago #8555 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic SOL 1678, amazing images

The rectangular "carved" object looks to be something. Good find. Only word of caution - the image is not great and the object is mid distance. I've been burnt a couple of times myself with these kind of images only to find a closer better image later that does not support the initial assessment. But as it stands it looks artificial and not natural.

My eyesight isn't the greatest in the world, and perhaps I need a magnifying glass to see it a little better on my MacBook Pro (the smalll one), but while I can see something rectangular with a square cross section, I can't really conclude that it's artificial (as Scott Waring would say, with "100% proof" :P ). I suppose I would have to ask ... if it's artificial, why is there only one object there? What happened to the rest of the parent structure, and why weren't there others?

More
6 years 11 months ago #8560 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic SOL 1678, amazing images
Beware of details you see in the images taken from the left cam and released as raw browse jpgs, they can be especially deceiving. These formations are interesting, but moderately so because of the limitations of the camera lens. I think the remote nature by which the images are acquired creates a lot of subjectivity towards interpretation, it might be all we have outside of geometry, which is rare and sometimes unreliable in images. I mean, I've seen a few arrowheads I couldn't say were evenly geometric in shape but had "shaping." Dr. Makoto Kowta wrote a 1980 article about "recognizing (archaeological) artifacts" and I generally keep it in mind while looking at these images.
www.fire.ca.gov/resource_mgt/archaeology/downloads/recognizing_artifacts.pdf
However, it is based on Earth's passing of time and processes, so how accurate it would be for a Martian artifact is undetermined.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Badsneaker

More
6 years 11 months ago #8564 by Haymaker
Replied by Haymaker on topic SOL 1678, amazing images
Well it can look artificial without 100% certainty. B) Todd's caution is probably the correct line to take. But still it don't look natural to me.
Attachments:

More
6 years 10 months ago #8847 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic SOL 1678, amazing images

Well it can look artificial without 100% certainty. B) Todd's caution is probably the correct line to take. But still it don't look natural to me.

You're right ... that does indeed look interesting. It'll be nice to see a higher resolution picture when and if it's released.

I've noticed on the Gigapans that Todd posts that many things that appear to be anomalous at low to mid zoom turn out to be just plain rocks when fully zoomed in. It would be difficult to throw this image out the window though, as it stands.

Regardless, speculation is fun even if one is highly skeptical.

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: