lock Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan

6 years 3 months ago #11445 by Marty
Replied by Marty on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
Yes Glitch that's it, thank you.
No wonder I could not find it, I was looking in the wrong place.
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 3 months ago #11446 by Glitch_Neo
Replied by Glitch_Neo on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan

Ha ha ha - Sounds like something I would do!

No problem Marty
More
6 years 3 months ago #11448 by Todd
  • Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #11450 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
Here are composites made from Mastcam images taken on Sol 1429 among the "Murray Buttes" in the "Pahrump Hills."

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/205603

mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?s=1429&camera=MAST_
www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/sol/01429.html
  • Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #11453 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan

You really think it was dragging a wheel? There's a lot of soil turned up, but I'm not convinced one of the wheels wasn't turning. Could be though.
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #11455 by Marty
Replied by Marty on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
RD, follow the tracks in from the left. Everything seems to be rolling , no furrow or drag marks.

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/205467
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Marty.
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #11456 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan

RD, follow the tracks in from the left. Everything seems to be rolling , no furrow or drag marks.

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/205467

You could be right, but think it's more likely it was just maneuvering. It has six wheels that will each turn independently. I'm not sure what the turning limits of each wheel is, but I'm guessing it's at least 180 degrees (± 90 degrees from straight ahead). Maybe it's possible that one wheel got turned 90 degrees to the direction of travel and it was scooting along for a while? I guess that's possible but the thing moves so slowly that I doubt they'd make that mistake for very long. Most likely just sort of pirouetting?

Not sure I saw what you say might be a pin or a bolt, but I saw something that kinda looked like a nut. I think it's just a rock though.

Have you noticed where the rover's been, and where it's stirred up a lot of soil, that the soil is considerably darker than the undisturbed surface? Looks like it's moist. I suppose the surface could have been undisturbed so long that it's been bleached by the sun though.

Did you notice it's traveling the path of the mineral vein? They must have found that interesting. Also, zoom in nearer where the rover is ... looks like the track's been sort of raked over. Dragging wheel there?
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by RocketDawg.
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: