lock Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan

6 years 6 months ago #10262 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan

Does Mars really have blue rocks? :P

Yes.
www.natureworldnews.com/articles/21821/20160509/blue-color-found-on-mars-dominates-the-other-side-of-the-red-planet.htm

They use an RGB Bayer filter, like most digital cameras, but those images are put through another broadband filter wheel. I don't have a definitive answer, but I think the combination of the broadband filter and the fact that both red and infrared have a longer wavelength, contribute to the initial color. I'm not sure why the DRCX and the DXXX versions look so different but I'm guessing they stack different filters for each final version. I can find a lot of schematics and tech info on the Mastcam filters themselves, but when it comes to finding the actual standard operating procedures for how they procure final images, not quite so easy.

www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/multimedia/pia16799.html
The topic has been locked.
  • Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago #10264 by Todd
They also use the ICER compressor application, this is a "wavelet-based image data compressor" they have used since the launch of the MER rover missions. During this process, they can add or remove noise. ;) The ICER could shoulder a lot of responsibility for how the images appear like they do.

ipnpr.jpl.nasa.gov/progress_report/42-155/155J.pdf
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glitch_Neo
  • Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #10273 by Glitch_Neo
Replied by Glitch_Neo on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
Some cool info there Todd, it's always good to get a bit of background info, even if that does add more "Research" to my ever expanding list of subjects to bone up on... I'm struggling with the geology side of the research, basically because it's so dull.... :lol:

New Gigapan - 2 days fiddling and tweaking... fingers crossed :whistle:

SOL 1375

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/203523

Source(s)

mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?s=01375&camera=MAST_

www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/sol/01375.html

Pahrump Hills

Site 54/3036

SOL 1376

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/203525

Source(s)

mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?s=01376&camera=MAST_

www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/sol/01376.html
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Glitch_Neo.
More
More
6 years 6 months ago #10275 by Todd
In a nutshell, I usually add the cyan photo filter first just to get a balance, you may need to use other cooling filters, depending on the exposure. I adjust the curves, without going too dark. Then I adjust the exposure and gamma settings, sometimes adding the cyan will make you loose density. I use brightness / contrast only if I need to. Then I color correct the image because generally it will be too cool. I adjust color in the shadows, midtones and highlights. Typically I add a little red and yellow, but it will depend on the image you're using and what photo filters have been applied. I think the cooling filters de-saturate the image somewhat, so I add saturation and maybe vibrance. Anytime you do that, you will have to remove color noise in the "reduce noise" filter. Then I use the "smart sharpen" filter function which performs a deconvolution stretch and sharpens the image. If the image is especially fuzzy, an unsharp mask adjustment can also be performed. Although the cyan filter is good at eliminating the excess red, the color itself still has to be balanced. :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glitch_Neo
  • Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago #10276 by Glitch_Neo
Replied by Glitch_Neo on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
Cheers Todd - Well I can honestly say I have not been doing that! lol I'll give your way a try and see what the result is.... They can't turn out any worse then my "Jaundiced" yellow images :oops:

SOL 1115 Gigapan

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/203534

mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?s=1115&camera=MAST%5F
www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/sol/01115.html
More
6 years 6 months ago #10277 by Glitch_Neo
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: