lock Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan

7 years 3 days ago #8477 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
Great work as usual on the GigaPans, Todd.

I too don't buy the microorganism notion. Looks like it's just debris from the soil to me. Also, the thin areas between the treads (the "grousers") are only 0.03" thick and are made of aluminum. Given the rover's weight, even on Mars, I can see how the could easily be fractured by running over sharp rocks. And we have to remember that temperatures are extremely low, which presumably would make the aluminum more brittle than it would be at Earth room temperature. A lot of design thought went into the wheels, both on the Mars rovers and on the Lunar buggy, but looks like Curiosity's need beefing up a bit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Todd
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 2 days ago #8504 by RocketDawg
Replied by RocketDawg on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
There are a couple of interesting features in the smaller images below the large composite.

On the lower left one, at about 10 o'clock from the large rock in the center, is an arc that could possibly be part of what was originally a circle. Might just be a rock, but there are some regular features in it.

On the right hand individual one, just left of the large rock, is a series of five holes in a line. It's possible that the rover may have drilled those, but they appear to be in sand.

Mars is an interesting place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Todd
More
7 years 1 day ago - 7 years 1 day ago #8505 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Curiosity Rover Composites on GigaPan
Yes, the lighter half circle sitting there, I see that, it is weird. The five holes are from the remote sensing done on that sol.

mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=CR0_493100037PRC_F0490814CCAM02075L2&s=1077
Last edit: 7 years 1 day ago by Todd. Reason: changed "day" to "sol"
  • Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 1 day ago #8506 by Todd
Here are composites made from Mastcam images taken on sol 984 in the "Pahrump Hills" on the drive toward "Stimson Unit."

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/198119

mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?s=984&camera=MAST_
www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/sol/00984.html
  • Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 11 months ago #8550 by Todd
  • Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 11 months ago #8573 by Todd
These are composites made from Mastcam images taken on sol 1151 in the "Pahrump Hills" while on the drive to 'Bagnold Dunes." The color never came down on some of the original raw browse jpgs.

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/198312

mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?s=1151&camera=MAST_
www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/sol/01151.html
  • Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 11 months ago #8574 by Todd
This is a composite made from 98 right Mastcam images taken at "Point Lake" on sol 107.

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/198333

mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?s=107&camera=MAST_
www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/sol/00107.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: RocketDawg
  • Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: