check Curiosity Sol 1454 Composites: Astounding Formation!

7 years 7 months ago #6323 by Todd
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WillFarrar, Harry

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 7 months ago #6330 by Todd
Here's another landform, next to that feature, also imaged on sol 1454. Is this a natural formation or the top of an ancient structure sitting in a pile of its own eroded rubble? Below, a composite made from three right mastcam images.

NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS originals:
mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=1454MR0071940180703306E01_DXXX&s=1454
mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=1454MR0071940170703305E01_DXXX&s=1454
mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=1454MR0071940160703304E01_DXXX&s=1454
Attachments:

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 7 months ago #6334 by ??
Thank you. I saved these to my Todd folder.

One thing I can't help but notice in many of these and similar images is a considerable preponderance of horizontal striations. To me this indicates either multiple flooding or pancaked structures, or both.

If Mars had oceans and suffered a cataclysm which produced giant tsunamis, then this could leave similar geologic relics. However, some similar images appear to me more like structures, evidenced by vertical features.

• ??
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #6339 by Harry
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Harry.

More
7 years 7 months ago #6341 by Todd

One thing I can't help but notice in many of these and similar images is a considerable preponderance of horizontal striations. To me this indicates either multiple flooding or pancaked structures, or both.

If Mars had oceans and suffered a cataclysm which produced giant tsunamis, then this could leave similar geologic relics. However, some similar images appear to me more like structures, evidenced by vertical features.

I agree and think probably both. Given enough water over time, a geological feature can appear as an intelligently engineered construction. It's certainly a complicated region with a lot of detail. There are regularly spaced vertical fractures with and without mineral vein material present. There are the occasional rectangular "cubby" insets. The mineral vein appears all over this region traversing layers and sometimes protruding up from the ground. There are features that resemble pancaked columns and vertical features which may be the result of newer minerals forming in the faults via an aqueous solution or perhaps they were once building supports. Also, any potential cellular material could have its structure replaced with minerals over time, essentially petrifying it. Paraphrasing Carl Sagan, we need a survey team on the ground. I would say based on what we see now that, at the very least, large amounts of water were responsible. Below, some more examples from sol 1454.

NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS original

Below is another three frame composite made up of right mastcam images taken on sol 1454.

NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS originals;
mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=1454MR0071940060703294E01_DXXX&s=1454
mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=1454MR0071940050703293E01_DXXX&s=1454
mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=1454MR0071940040703292E01_DXXX&s=1454
Attachments:

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 7 months ago #6343 by Dean Hammond
Replied by Dean Hammond on topic Curiosity Sol 1454 Composites: Astounding Formation!
I have seen somthing interisting on the Curiosity site 57/2798 (SOL 1455-1459) Right eye view. I know thieres alot in the in the Mars lanscape, but This got my attention, on the the rover is a can looking device almost looking like a water tower... There appears to be a Eqypitan Hydergligh Or picture that has appears into the device, This is strange, I went back and look at alot of picts and this is where it appears, The can has a dint that is shiney and a fold below, to the life appears to be a egyptian bird. I thaought the fold below the dint was a tear, but maybe not. There may other itmens on this picture, but Iam sure of the bird.
Maybe the rover picked up a hichhiker that did this for some reason. Anything is possible? Right. Even my speeling will get better somday. Dean :S

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #6344 by Dean Hammond
Replied by Dean Hammond on topic Curiosity Sol 1454 Composites: Astounding Formation!
More information on the The Curiosity Site 57/2798 Chapter 14 Pahrump Hills, I wrote about earlier today, this is about the Curiosity leftNavcam Sol 1455 Site 57/2798 NLB_526662115EDR_Fo57298NCAM0025M_ Sep. 9, 2016 3:00:51 AM UTC , This is in reference to the Rover and the divice that has what appears to be some egptian figures on it. Dean I dont know how to attach it form my I Pad, Dean
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Dean Hammond.

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: