exclamation-circle The Martian Statue of Liberty?

7 years 7 months ago #6110 by WillFarrar
Replied by WillFarrar on topic The Martian Statue of Liberty?
I was talking with Keith Laney tonight after a Skype Conference call and we were talking about how this thing looks so different from this angle. Even with the height it just doesn't seem to match up. When I get back from playing music this weekend I am going to tear into each SOL and see how many shots we have of it. From various distances.. And see what matches and what doesn't. It sure has an odd feel to it. Something feels off. No way that thing just landed there and stayed like that.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #6112 by Harry
Replied by Harry on topic The Martian Statue of Liberty?
Yes there is a lot of interesting stuff up there...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Todd

More
7 years 7 months ago #6113 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic The Martian Statue of Liberty?

..it just doesn't seem to match up.

I think I've seen that sort of thing before in the mastcam images. Here's my final attempt at the raw jpg. A lot of intriguing looking stuff but a lot of blurry details too. :unsure:

NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS original
Attachments:

• Todd
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 7 months ago #6114 by dude
Replied by dude on topic The Martian Statue of Liberty?
after looking at the enhancements I think we should just take it as wonderful anomaly. I think it broke off from above & then they stood it up & shimmed the base to make it stable. I believe they used it as a channel marker or port location marker when they had an ocean or lake. imagine this rock painted a red color & spot lighted at night. you could have seen it for miles. well, that's my 2 cents worth.

• dude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • retired mechanical designer.
More
7 years 7 months ago #6115 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic The Martian Statue of Liberty?
Here's the "statue" as taken by the remote micro imager (chemcam) on sol 1428 and enhanced. I sharpened the image a little bit further.

NASA/JPL-Caltech/LANL original

mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=CR0_524257514EDR_F0561326CCAM02428M_&s=1428
Attachments:

• Todd
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #6116 by Harry
I'm not convinced that is the original image sent back from Mars :whistle:

Below are a few anomalies from the Sol 1419 set of images that I found to the lower left of the statue.

After looking at the anomaly above, I noticed that the part that I outlined might be attached to the piece slightly buried behind it.

.As usual, there are more anomalies lying around that I'll try to capture
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Harry. Reason: Comments were in the wrong place.

More
7 years 7 months ago #6117 by Harry
Did someone forget to remove the cursor while editing the image? ;) :blink:

Attachments:

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: