file Object Resembling Pickup Truck in Sol 1197 Mastcam Image

8 years 3 months ago #3326 by Todd
A strange object which appears machined, resembling that of a pickup truck, sits on the Martian surface in a Sol 1197 left mastcam image. There are a lot of good Sol 1197 images , but that noise!

NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS Original
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marty

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 3 months ago #3336 by MOZR505
Hey todd, good photo sure as hell isn't a rock that's for sure. Even has a hubcap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Todd, marlena

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #10685 by Marty
Interesting -- what looks like an old truck actually, looks like an old truck.
And to the right rear of the formation, it to me looks like the back end of a car showing taillight sections and a rear window.
Interesting as well is the standing anomaly in front of the truck. Which appears to be - what 15-20 feet this side of it. Blurring out the windshield area.
Also -- if you move down to the 8 o'clock position and look into what I will refer to as the Dutch Oven -- look closely inside to the right behind the leading rock.
Pray tell -- what is that?

mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/?rawid=1197ML0054560200502967E01_DXXX&s=1197
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Marty. Reason: spelling

More
6 years 4 months ago #10686 by Todd
I have learned in the last two years to be wary of the left Mastcam's limitations when it comes to distant objects, but this one is still pretty weird, despite the terrible color noise. The left mastcam is much better at imaging stuff on the ground near the rover than it is taking landscape images with any real clarity. Here is a version I recently processed from the PDS img. DRCX file, with an enlarged enhancement below.

NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS original
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smittysmit

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 4 months ago #10688 by Smittysmit
Will there be any higher resolution images down the road?

Very strange image indeed.

More
6 years 4 months ago #10693 by RocketDawg
Goodness ... I haven't even found the pickup truck in any of the images yet. :ohmy: My eyes must be lousy. Help me out? :P

More
6 years 4 months ago #10694 by Smittysmit
Almost to the top of the hill. About 2:00 from the center. Yes, it's s bit blurry...but the "truck" is there.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/01197/mcam/1197ML0054560200502967E01_DXXX.jpg

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: